Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a cinephile, movies are probably my second love after brewing, I have a "watchlist" which is almost as long as my "brewlist" and I try to watch a couple of films off it each week.

I'm always open for suggestions and love hearing what people have watched recently, what their opinion was and why.

With such a melange of people on the forum I'm sure I'm not the only one, so what are you watching, or have you watched recently?

I'll go first, last night I watched Hero, a Jet Li movie from 2002. I'm not the biggest fan of martial arts films but wow, this is spectacular. This isn't just a movie, it's a work of art. The cinematography is stunning, the use of colour beautiful done, and the fight choreography mind-blowing (plus who doesn't want to see Jet Li fight Donnie Yen?)

If you're a martial arts fan then this is a must see, even though it's a little more subtle than the likes of Jackie Chan (think more Crouching Tiger than Rumble in the Bronx), but even if you're not a fan of the genre this is still worth a watch just for the spectacle, it's one of the most beautifully shot movies I've seen for a while.

The last film I saw was Blade Runner 2049 and it was great. I loved the original and this is true to it. A slow burner with stunning imagery.

Currently watching heist. Gene Hackman, fantastic actor. Decent movie but Hackman makes it

Don't get much of a chance to watch movies, I don't think I have been to the cinema since skyfall or whatever the last Bond movie was. Any recommendations, been saying all week that we (SWMBO and I ) should watch a film this weekend.

The last film I saw was Blade Runner 2049 and it was great. I loved the original and this is true to it. A slow burner with stunning imagery.

You're absolutely spot on there, it blew me away. A masterclass in every aspect of film making. Denis Villeneuve is one of the most interesting directors working right now, a couple of his other movies, Sicario and Arrival are well worth a watch. Not quite as epic as blade runner but some moments of brilliance. And there are rumours that he is planning a Dune remake which is rather exciting!

Currently watching heist. Gene Hackman, fantastic actor. Decent movie but Hackman makes it

I've not seen that one but I noticed it was written by David Mamet (of The Untouchables and Ronin fame) which bodes well :thumb:

Don't get much of a chance to watch movies, I don't think I have been to the cinema since skyfall or whatever the last Bond movie was. Any recommendations, been saying all week that we (SWMBO and I ) should watch a film this weekend.

I'd love to give you a recommendation, are there any genres you particularly like or don't like?

Without spoilers could I ask if the new one is an copy of the original, I have seen a short clip (not trailer) and the streets, low flying thing with the advertising screen and the guys voice coming out of it looked and sounded exactly the same, loved the original so will not be too bothered if it's near identical.

Last film I watched (well kind of as it was on when the kids were watching it) was Sing. It’s actually quite a good film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We don’t get as much time as we’d like to watch films, last one was the documentary about (now) World’s Strongest Man Eddie Hall a fortnight ago.

Never heard of this film until recently and watched it and really enjoyed it

Dead mans shoes

It is a british film but its a revenge movie where a guy from the forces returns to his home town after serving to take revenge on a gang that abused and tortured his mentally disabled brother while he was away.

It isn't a big high budget movie and is a little dark but I really enjoyed it for what it was.. A little hidden gem.

Without spoilers could I ask if the new one is an copy of the original, I have seen a short clip (not trailer) and the streets, low flying thing with the advertising screen and the guys voice coming out of it looked and sounded exactly the same, loved the original so will not be too bothered if it's near identical.

It's not a copy or even a rehash in the guise of a sequel (like The Force Awakens), it's a near perfect sequel. It does all the things a good sequel should do by expanding on the original story rather than just retelling it. The production design is fantastic, they really captured the gritty, dirty, lived-in look and feel of the original but continued the story in an interesting way.

Last film I watched (well kind of as it was on when the kids were watching it) was Sing. It’s actually quite a good film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've heard it's not bad actually, but I have a bit of an aversion to animated characters singing and dancing for some reason. I know that's an oddly specific thing to hate but it really irks me!

We don’t get as much time as we’d like to watch films, last one was the documentary about (now) World’s Strongest Man Eddie Hall a fortnight ago.

That one's on my watchlist, how was it?
Btw if you enjoy documentaries I really recommend Tickled. It's an odd one, and you'll be intrigued, amazed and uncomfortable in equal measure watching it but it's a fascinating watch as the mystery unfolds.

Back