Oxford teacher faces action over 'misgendering' pupil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous you call a girl a girl because that is what she is and you face action.

How can the number referred to the gender identity service jump from 100 to over 2000 in 7 years.

A teacher is facing disciplinary action at his school after he referred to a transgender pupil as a girl, although the student identifies as a boy.
Joshua Sutcliffe, a Christian pastor from Oxford, admitted he said "Well done girls" when addressing a group including the student.
He described it as a "slip of the tongue", but said he believed biological sex was defined at birth
The school said it would be "inappropriate" to comment.
Mr Sutcliffe, who teaches children aged between 11 and 18, said the incident took place on 2 November.
He said a week-long investigation found he had "misgendered" the pupil.

'Born a girl'

The maths teacher, who is also a pastor at the Christ Revelation church in Oxford, said he tried to balance his beliefs with the need to treat the pupil sensitively.
He claimed he did this by avoiding the use of gender-specific pronouns and by referring to the pupil by name.
"While the suggestion that gender is fluid conflicts sharply with my Christian beliefs... I have never looked to impose my convictions on others", he said
He said he had apologised to the student, but said he did not consider it "unreasonable" to call someone a girl "if they were born a girl".

Read more - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-41966554

_98731328_gids_birmingham_30ipp-nc.png

Joking aside what I find disturbing about this story is not the stuff about gender reassignment (I dont give a monkey's if some girl wants to call herself a boy), it's the over-sensitivity of the kid and the fact the school immidiately jumped to disciplinary action despite the teach appologising and explaining was it a slip of the tongue.
This kid wont do very well outside in the big wide world he/she cant even take accidently being called a girl instead of a boy as part of a group of other kids. It's happened to all of us.
I bet he/she was immediately on facebook claiming he/she was being oppressed :roll:

The way i look at it is if you are born a girl you are a girl until you have surgery to make you a boy and its the same for boys, i was listening to 5 Live earlier and a girl/woman said she has been living as a boy for several years and uses male toilets, i bet if i were to go into a woman's toilet for a dump i would be arrested.

The problem isn’t that the child is so confused, it’s the fact the teacher has been investigated over an easy to make mistake. Need to get through this fad of finding a cause to witch-hunt for.

As I'm getting older there definitely seems to be a feeling of anything I say being used to judge me as racist, homophobic, prejudiced, bigoted etc. All of which I find both distasteful and boring if I'm being honest. As in this case, a man referred to someone born as a girl as a girl and gets told he's misgendered her......him (Uh oh now I've gone and misgendered....the young person in question) and then had to face the following witch hunt. Maybe I should just stick to boring people to death talking to them about brewing my own beer and leave it at that.

As I'm getting older there definitely seems to be a feeling of anything I say being used to judge me as racist, homophobic, prejudiced, bigoted etc. All of which I find both distasteful and boring if I'm being honest. As in this case, a man referred to someone born as a girl as a girl and gets told he's misgendered her......him (Uh oh now I've gone and misgendered....the young person in question) and then had to face the following witch hunt. Maybe I should just stick to boring people to death talking to them about brewing my own beer and leave it at that.

Its called identity politics and I hate it. It like an attempt to correct discrimination has just swung too far and In my eyes, is actually causing discrimination. One persons with one set of beliefs/culture/gender/etc trumps another persons with another set - which is the defination of discrimination

"Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners".
- George Carlin,

I've zero tolerance for this nonsense and have formulated an appropriate strategy for dealing with anyone who tries this silly pronouns stuff - simply abandon the use of all pronouns in relation to the person in question and use their full given name in place of all of them.

If invited to provide your own pronouns, the choice is endless and in many institutions, those choices must be respected and used as a matter of policy.
"His Royal Highness", "The most Reverend", "Wible" and "Throatgobler" are all at least as valid as some of the stuff actually in use - but much more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back