New to Forum Winter Style Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normanh

Reaction score
Hi I am new the forum and i like to experiment. In the past I have stayed with extract brews but recently I have looked to combining extract and grain. I am not really geared for 100% grain hence the mix of both so I like to experiment in my brewing above all I like to keep things simple.

Latest is a mixture of dark crystal and Briess LME S04 Yeast and a base of Challenger hops.

3 Litre volume brew 250g dark crystal malt then 50 g of Challenger for 60 mins
Briess Malt to 10 litres simple tap water, cooled to 21C and added the yeast. Initial gravity at 1050.

I am looking to dry hop during fermentation and prior to bottling - I have the following hops in stock - any thoughts?

Green Bullet, Dr Rudi, Motukea, Williamette, Goldings, Boudica, Phoenix, Galaxy, Challenger

Norman

Hi I am new the forum and i like to experiment. In the past I have stayed with extract brews but recently I have looked to combining extract and grain. I am not really geared for 100% grain hence the mix of both so I like to experiment in my brewing above all I like to keep things simple.

Latest is a mixture of dark crystal and Briess LME S04 Yeast and a base of Challenger hops.

3 Litre volume brew 250g dark crystal malt then 50 g of Challenger for 60 mins
Briess Malt to 10 litres simple tap water, cooled to 21C and added the yeast. Initial gravity at 1050.

I am looking to dry hop during fermentation and prior to bottling - I have the following hops in stock - any thoughts?

Green Bullet, Dr Rudi, Motukea, Williamette, Goldings, Boudica, Phoenix, Galaxy, Challenger

Norman

Challenger and Goldings go well together - so I suggest Goldings for a dry hop. Adding 5 days before bottling is an idea as it prevents the aroma being lost by adding too early and stops the grassy taste that might come from the dry hops being in too long.

Added some Challenger 20g and Galaxy 40g yesterday as a 1st stage and intend to top these up before bottling, SG is around 1016 to 1018 with fermentation going nicely

Norman

Latest posts

Back