White Labs in trouble?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes. I wonder how they could prove the origin of the contamination was the supplied yeast.

If the DNA test a variety of shop bought bottles from multiple batches over a X length of time and find the same wild strain in all of them, the likelihood of the brewery getting the same wild yeast infections from poor hygiene would be infinitesimally small. As if their production process was that poor, you would expect multiple types of wild yeast infections. Not just one

Says this in the QC section of their website

"Limitation of Liability: While we strive to produce the best products possible, yeast and bacteria are living, microbiological products that are subject to environmental conditions, for example, during shipping and storage/use at the customer. Therefore, the total liability of White Labs to customers shall in no circumstances exceed the sum of the purchase price of products from White Labs. White Labs is not responsible for other ingredient costs, sales costs, labor, etc."

Ouch.

I did like this bit from the article:

———————
brewers found that Extrovert IPA “exhibited phenolic characteristics.”

In other words, the beer didn’t taste right.
———————

Does the small print mean nothing? Purchasers already agree by buying the yeast that ultimately nature has full control of the product. I bet white labs have conformity certs for every batch they release.
Bit like me thrashing my focus estate through the hedge and blaming ford?
Just a few thoughts.....

I went over to HBT to see what their forumites were saying about this, seeing as it's based in their country. I was surprised to discover noone had picked it up over there so I started a thread myself.

There's some interesting debate on this with one particular poster seeming to know the ins and outs of the US legal system giving his take on it

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/white-labs-lawsuit.638980/

I too don't see the brewery getting much out of White Labs, especially because WL are selling a living organism and already disclaim any liability further than returning the purchase price if the customer is dissatisfied.

I will try to remember "It must have been the yeast." though; for the next time I screw up a brew! :thumb:

BTW, I loved this comment on the US Forum ...

"It'd be like suing the guy who showed up sick to work for the days you missed cuz you got sick from him."

Especially as an hour ago SWMBO said "I think I'm getting a cold." and then kissed me goodnight before retiring to her sickbed! :doh:

Latest posts

Back