hobgoblins question thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are things you can do to reduce it, but you want some in there (its yeast essentially) to carb up your beer.

By the way I think you have left a little bit too much headroom in that bottle.

yeah i know about the head room but there just samples for two people i know dont want to waste it on them :whistle::whistle: lol

yeah i know about the head room but there just samples for two people i know dont want to waste it on them :whistle::whistle: lol

I doubt it will come to this but I believe that extra headspace can cause them to overcarb and of course the worst case is they explode, but I don't think you have to worry about that unless you did over carb them loads anyway

I was once given some great advise about getting the right head space in the bottle, fill to the brim with the bottling stick or siphon and when you remove it the displacement will give you a nice head space in the bottle. works for me!:thumb:

ok so i have a stout extract kit and i plan to pimp it with chocolate and Preema Orange Flavouring Essence now my question is when to add the Orange Essence at batch priming or in fermentation

Hobgoblin that sounds awesome! I'd be interested to know the answer to that question too. Always interesting to find new ways of adding flavour.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Never done any flavourings myself like that but when I have seen heard people do them they add them after fermentation. I if you batch add it at bottling time I don't suppose it matters too much??

i am now trying my evil dog double ipa and holy hell and a handbag it is strong after only 1 1/2 pints i cant feel my face lol could do with better carbonation but all i had was coopers carb drops ( you have no idea how hard it is to post this right now now)lol i would say im two sheets to the wind but the sheets have blown away i made a vid other day as i have new stuff to brew coming soon

well i put me beer in the barrel yesterday and a bit in some bottles is there a filter i could get to take out the sediment in future

You need the yeast that's in the solution to help finish conditioning it as well as to carb it up

Different yeasts have better stability eg don't break up as easily one you open a pressureised bottle - this allows you to pour the brew out before it the yeast goes into the brew - making it 'milky'

ok so i have a stout extract kit and i plan to pimp it with chocolate and Preema Orange Flavouring Essence now my question is when to add the Orange Essence at batch priming or in fermentation

Remember to give your stout kit a few days in the fermenter with a few litres short of your total water content so that you can save the mess of the krausen monster that will erupt !

Hey Hobgob, I did a Coopers Stout mod back at the end of March, to make a chocolate milk stout (the kit, 1kg dark spraymalt, 1kg brew enhancer and 250g lactose, brewed to 18L). I added two 20ml bottles of Prestige Cacao essence just before bottling. Initially it gave a very strong chocolate flavour, which has mellowed over time. Right now it tastes very nice indeed. In fact, I think I'll crack one open!

well just found one of my pressure barrels that i forgot about i dont think its any good now as i left a small amount of beer in it now its a toxic bio hazed

20150423_153704A.jpg

Fill it with boiling water (i'm assuming it is a 5 gallon barrel) and add no more than 2 cap fulls of bleach to at least 3gallons - 12-14 litres of water (may one capfull at a time and do the boiling water/bleach twice). give the barrel a good swirl and then several rinses through with regular water. Then clean and sanitise as usual.

it might help you save it.

Fill it with boiling water (i'm assuming it is a 5 gallon barrel) and add no more than 2 cap fulls of bleach to at least 3gallons - 12-14 litres of water (may one capfull at a time and do the boiling water/bleach twice). give the barrel a good swirl and then several rinses through with regular water. Then clean and sanitise as usual.

it might help you save it.

dont think ill risk my beer in this again now but i wounder could i cut the top off and install a kettle heater and make it a water boiler

also dose anyone know where in the UK i can buy used aluminum beer keg seen a few vids on converted ones for all grain :thumb:

Back