Hop Bags, any losses

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
I switched to using hop pellets, as i find them easier to work with and they don't clog the tap when draining after a boil.
However, my LHBS are selling off their entire stock of leaf at less than half price, so I've bought a number bags of the common British hops and will probably purchase a few more bags of something else when i call in next week. (provided they have some left)

To avoid blockages, I'm planning on using a hop bag during the boil, but wondered if these cause any losses when it comes to extraction ???

I switched to using hop pellets, as i find them easier to work with and they don't clog the tap when draining after a boil.
However, my LHBS are selling off their entire stock of leaf at less than half price, so I've bought a number bags of the common British hops and will probably purchase a few more bags of something else when i call in next week. (provided they have some left)

To avoid blockages, I'm planning on using a hop bag during the boil, but wondered if these cause any losses when it comes to extraction ???

Inevitably, yes. The alternative of squeezing the cruddy liquid out of the leaf hops will make for a hazy beer. My choice is to brew long for a 25L brew and add a tad more base malt and a bit more hops. Please note the exact measurements. :lol:

I used to use hop bags but recently bought a hop spider which I find much easier for both pellets and leaf, I'm yet to be convinced it doesn't have an impact on hop utilization tho.

I used to use hop bags but recently bought a hop spider which I find much easier for both pellets and leaf, I'm yet to be convinced it doesn't have an impact on hop utilization tho.

with your grainfather (hope ive got the right Doc ??) why not recirculate the boil through the hop spider to maximise flow through the spider and hopefully the hop utilisation, Its something i do with my bigger brewkit as the grainbag hop container employed simply floats on the boil without it.

I think any difference in utilisation would be hardly noticeable if at all, so I'd just go ahead and bag them up.

with your grainfather (hope ive got the right Doc ??) why not recirculate the boil through the hop spider to maximise flow through the spider and hopefully the hop utilisation, Its something i do with my bigger brewkit as the grainbag hop container employed simply floats on the boil without it.

With the normal recirc pipe? That thought never crossed my mind, will definitely give it a go. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back