Is this normal??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanManley

Landlord.
Reaction score
OK so only my second brew but I'm getting paranoid that this isn't normal? 6 days in???

20160616_165519.jpg

Being 6 days in should it not be bubbling a bit more? It's only meant to be a 3.5% Dead Pony Club so not expecting a volcano but thought there'd be a bit more by now?

Being 6 days in should it not be bubbling a bit more? It's only meant to be a 3.5% Dead Pony Club so not expecting a volcano but thought there'd be a bit more by now?

Dont worry about how much its bubbling (or not). The most important thing is your hydrometer (reading). This will tell you what you want to know/the most important info, is your OG dropping. Take a reading after a couple of weeks in the FV (you can take one earlier if you really want to) then if you get the same reading for three days in a row your good to bottle

Just to allay your worries, at such a low target ABV% it's probably mostly finished fermenting in about 2-3 days anyway so wouldn't b bubbling much

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated! Difficult when you don't know what you're doing!

That sucks. However, I'd be tempted to carefully lift out the mould with a sterilised spoon and see if it can't be saved! What have you got to lose?

I once had a beer with black treacle added, and after a few very hot days it went a bit nasty. I lifted the mould out and bottled anyway. After a few weeks in the bottles a layer of mould appeared in the necks. When I opened the bottles I just poured out the mouldy bit and drank the rest. Okay, it wasn't the best beer I've ever made but it was drinkable.

One of the problems many new brewers face is impatience, and often problems can be caused by constantly opening FVs and taking readings and generally not leaving the beer alone.

That looks proper mouldy :-(

If you wanted to, you could wrack (syphon) from below and leave the mould in the FV. I've dont this before with a mouldy brew and it was fine

Yeah I would rack a little bit off and do a taste test. If it tastes bad now it is bad and you've got to bin it. If it honestly tastes ok then bottle it and see what it's like in 3-4 weeks.

That's unlucky tho. And I feel your pain as I've had to ditch a few batches recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like your brewing your own penicillin:lol:
Unlucky pal did you keep that in a damp room as that mould has taken quick

So looking at your original post, and your "mould" post, that's 4 weeks in the fv? How often were you opening it to check it? The more often you check the more often you risk introducing something nasty.

So looking at your original post, and your "mould" post, that's 4 weeks in the fv? How often were you opening it to check it? The more often you check the more often you risk introducing something nasty.
Oddly only just got notified of your reply, sorry.

No it was just 6 days before the mould came about.

I think there was a problem with the lid/bung seal (going to use it next time I noticed a split) so I think some nasties got in.

I only checked it as I hadn't noticed any bubbles. Again probably due to a seal issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thats a bummer Alan. Moulds are obligate aerobes, so can't survive without oxygen. A blanket of CO2 could probably have prevented the infection from taking hold, and that blanket would have been swept away when popping the lid to take a peek. I'm in the habit of pitching the yeast and forgetting about it for a fortnight.

I think this is the problem a lot of people have. Impatience, Beer wants to be made provided optimum conditions are provided. Once outside variations are applied is when we run into issues.

I learned (I think) from this and my current brews are left until 2 weeks then check the FG to see if we're there. Just ultra paranoid now! 😂

I did. I also couldn't get my head around drinking mouldy beer. Not worth it.

Back