Spices..when to add them

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howyoubrewin

Regular.
Reaction score
I am brewing a beer that will use spices. Shold I add them around about the 15 min mark in the boil or at flame out?

Any advice please?

Cheers!

Won't the fermentation process strip out the flavours of the spices? I've always thought adding them in half way through fermentation would be better but don't have much experience with it.

Won't the fermentation process strip out the flavours of the spices? I've always thought adding them in half way through fermentation would be better but don't have much experience with it.
I can only tell you what my two recipe books recommend!
Only used Curacao peel and crushed coriander seeds in a witbier and they went in at 10 minutes! Guess it depends on what beer it is!, perhaps a strong winter type/xmas ale would benefit from an addition to the FV, someone will be along to advise i am sure.

I'm attempting a grapefruit infused IPA tomorrow along the lines of Brewdog Elvis Juice.

It calls for Grapefruit and Orange peel and from what I can work out they're added to the boil with 10 minutes left and then some are added to the dry hop as well.

Stroll.

I made a Christmas brew last week. Transferred to secondary today and you can definitely taste and smell the spices which were added with 10 minutes remaining.

I can't see how fermentation would strip out the flavour or aroma of the spice. With adjuncts like honey and syrup etc it hits the flavour because the sugars end up yeast food. Brew is in the FV now anyway and the spices are pungent at the moment so maybe wouldn't be a bad thing for them to mellow out a bit.

Back