American craft beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfr42

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm on holiday visiting various relatives in the states and of course sampling a variety of American beers.

I'll admit I like my hoppy beers (or dark stouts) and am a bit indifferent to "brown" and amber ales. Most American craft beers I have found have been pushing 6% or more, but have been more enjoyable than a lot of UK commercial beers I have had since starting home brewing.

Highlights from week 1 have been
Sam Adams grapefruit rebel ipa. Not dissimilar to the Young's aipa kit and very drinkable. (Pic below)

Left hand introvert (think the left hand brewery is from colorado).
This was a very mouth puckering dry ipa which was great having been travelling for 22hrs, and surprisingly only 4.9% (so I should have had more than one).

20160705_194624.jpg

Apologies separate post as I felt schlafly deserved it.

Had an great "afternoon" at their st louis bottling works while waiting for my brother and sister in law to finish work.

Started with their hop trial SMASH (pic 1) then tried a 5x5oz* (approx 150ml) flight (pic 2 starting with their dry hopped apa and pic 3 finishing with their double bean blonde, which was like a blonde coffee "stout") and their aipa and dipa.
*each with a "beer mat" detailing the hops and malt used I each of your samples.

All of which (maybe it was the smell of the nearby malt being mashed) were brews I'd like to emulate. (the expo ipa with pilgrim magnum cascade and others was high on the "clone" list).

Very impressed so far in that I've yet to have a beer where I have (maybe big headly) thought "my beer is better than that..."

20160708_110954.jpg

20160708_114334.jpg

20160708_121554.jpg

Back