Brewmaker Northumberland Brown Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex_Lad

Regular.
Reaction score
This is a one tin kit costing around £15, I was looking for a brew which was close to Newcastle Brown Ale and after looking online it seemed to be a good choice.

The brew was placed in bottles with one tsp of granulated sugar in each bottle and left indoors for a week and then placed in the shed. I tested one of these after around two weeks and if I’m honest was very disappointed. It has very little taste and was very watery and lacking texture.

The next was tried four weeks after and it had got better but was still not great. After around four weeks in the bottle it had really picked up with the texture now a lot thicker and more taste.

I decided not to drink this all in one go so left it for another four weeks and then got stuck in, in this time the taste had improved and it was a very close to Newcastle Brown.

Finding 10 bottles of this in the shed two weeks ago really made my weekend, as this is now close to six months old it’s truly amazing, just like any shop brought Ale.

If I was to brew this again I would use 1kg of Brown sugar and maybe some spray malt.

Just remember to sit on your hands with this brew as it really does get better with age.

:cheers:

I have one of these on the go made to 23 litres with 1.25kg Beer Enhancer - just moved it to a SV after 9 days, still a bit of fermenting left to do but drinking the SG sample its already pretty tasty although maybe a bit thin.
Expecting it will be ready to bottle in a week and will give it at least 4 weeks before trying it - watch this space!

Resurrecting an old thread, have just done this kit with 1kg medium spray malt, 1098 wyeast (English yeast) and pressure barrelled it.

Has been in the barrel for about 2 weeks now.

Op is correct in that it's nothing like Newcastle Brown but it's still a nice ale, very smooth, very drinkable, closer to a mild I think.

This one isn't going to last long so I'll never know how it matures.

This is a one tin kit costing around £15, I was looking for a brew which was close to Newcastle Brown Ale and after looking online it seemed to be a good choice.

The brew was placed in bottles with one tsp of granulated sugar in each bottle and left indoors for a week and then placed in the shed. I tested one of these after around two weeks and if I'm honest was very disappointed. It has very little taste and was very watery and lacking texture.

The next was tried four weeks after and it had got better but was still not great. After around four weeks in the bottle it had really picked up with the texture now a lot thicker and more taste.

I decided not to drink this all in one go so left it for another four weeks and then got stuck in, in this time the taste had improved and it was a very close to Newcastle Brown.

Finding 10 bottles of this in the shed two weeks ago really made my weekend, as this is now close to six months old it's truly amazing, just like any shop brought Ale.

If I was to brew this again I would use 1kg of Brown sugar and maybe some spray malt.

Just remember to sit on your hands with this brew as it really does get better with age.

:cheers:

Hallow pal,
i'm surprised that a full teaspoon of priming sugar hadnt improve the carbonation, let alone the sweet taste..:lol:
ive made broon ale before, and tbh its a PITA to get right, even kits and AG.
but i found TIME was on my side, it matured and got quite good..if i remember right that brew turned out more a cross between English stout, and a tadge like Guinness...if u know what saying.:doh:
think my mistakes was not the fermination temps but the priming temps, not leaving the bottles to fully carb and condition...for all i know might had not nuff yeast to mulch on the sugars..and i took them off a colder place thinking itll be alreet!:whistle:
for all ive been brought up with Newky broon....but the day after!! well you know the crack! :mrgreen:
looking good pal.
like i said its a PITA to get right...but once its sorted mint":thumb:
Bri

Hello One and All
Please can you recommend a Newcastle Ale clone of some form and what you would add to it?

Back