Double Raspberry/Vanilla IPA Omnipollo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braindead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Decided to brew this on Friday.
Just picked up the ingredients with a few slight changes.
Will this still be fine do you think.

1. I got malted oats as they had no flaked oats
2. I got flaked wheat not just wheat.

Will the malted oats increase the sugars in the mash? Or will these 2 lil things not make a difference.
Thx

“GRAIN
Pilsner malt, 2.65kg/5lbs 13.5oz (60%)
Wheat, 880g/1lb 15oz (20%)
Flaked oats, 440g/15.5oz (10%)
MASH
67C/152F for 75 mins
HOPS
(60 minute boil)
Mosaic, 27g/1oz, 10 mins
Mosaic, 67g/2.4oz, whirlpool
Mosaic, 200g/7oz, dry hop for 3 days
YEAST
Fermentis S-04 English Ale
FERMENT
19C/66F
OTHER INGREDIENTS
Dextrose, 440g/15.5oz (10%), in the boil
Lactose, after the boil, to raise the OG by 3P (about 12-13 specific gravity points); around 700g/ 1lb 8oz
Fresh raspberries, 1.3kg/2lbs 13.9oz, and 2.5 vanilla pods sliced down the middle, after primary fermentation, before dry hopping
”

I'd assume 'wheat' in the original recipe means malted wheat, so you've basically swapped the malted and unmalted oats and wheat. Under that assumption I ran the original and changed grain bills through BeerSmith and they came out very similar, 1.044 for the original recipe and 1.043 for the substitutions, this excludes the lactose and fruit.

It sounds like an amazing beer by the way!

Thx for that
My beer smith trial ended so couldn't input.
Just trying brewers friend
sounds wicked doesn't it

Not sure how many litres your brewing? but if you want a big raspberry hit I put 2.5k of defrosted frozen raspberry's in a 23l brew and it comes out nice, the misses is supping one now...

I spoke to the guys at Omnipollo
They said use the finest puree and vanilla powder, but not bourbon powder as it adds a smokey woody taste
Did u puree your own raspberries?

The pilsner malt should have enough diastatic power to convert the flaked wheat. However, I suspect that the flavour will be different.

Think i should get some porridge oats instead of the malted oats?
I`ve never brewed with oats and don`t want to balls this pricy brew up.
Plus which porridge oats as I know some need a Glucan rest.

Malted oats have a very strong flavour imo and it is definitely very different to flaked oats. If I were you I'd get porridge oats, I've ruined 2 brews by using malted oats in the place of flaked.

All bottled up now but after a few days theres a huge layer of what looks like fruit sediment or pectins solidifying and plenty floating around :(

Tasted amazing though before bottling

Thinking of rebrewing this but with strawberries. Would love it to be like a strawberry/vanilla ice cream.
Any ideas what hops would work besides mosaic?

Any recommendations on carbing level for this brew. Im bottling.

How did the carbing go? I'm about to brew the same brew next week and wanted to know if I needed to prime or whether the sugar in the fruit would do the business? :-?

How did the carbing go? I'm about to brew the same brew next week and wanted to know if I needed to prime or whether the sugar in the fruit would do the business? :-?

I carbed as an IPA.
Think I used about 116 grams of sugar/water solution.
Quite a bit of fruit debris in the fermentor, and also bottle after conditioning.
Quite a tart beer too but very nice. I`d add more vanilla in also than stated in the recipe.

Back