Lowicz alternatives

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinotinto

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whilst my search for somewhere reasonably local for this goes on............

Are there any tried and tested 'as good' alternatives to this. Surely the Polish do not have the market monopoly on such 'stuff'?

Do you not have a Tesco or Asda nearby that sells it? Failing that a Polish/Eastern European shop.

Whilst my search for somewhere reasonably local for this goes on............

Are there any tried and tested 'as good' alternatives to this. Surely the Polish do not have the market monopoly on such 'stuff'?

I've used the Bottle Green cordial a few times and it adds a good flavour.

I've done an Elderflower cider and plum cider with them.
Bought a bottle of Elderflower at the weekend to try in a WOW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IKEA do Lingonberry,Elderflower,Blueberry and i think one other. Certainly Tesco sell the polish syrups

Tesco do a morrello cherry for £2, half a bottle per gallon with 2ltr of red grape. It is far superior to lowicz cherry. They also do a strawberry & raspberry for £2.20 it has 9% blackberry as well and makes a good red after 5-6months in the bottle. Only the strawberry lowicz, in my opinion, is any good.

Having got my mitts on some of this I now realise that I do not have a definitive recipe as such. I remember reading that some use half a bottle (220ml) for 5 gallons of TC. Does it follow that I just use 44ml for a gallon trial of raspberry turno cider in place of some of the aj? Or am I confusing this with a wine recipe?

Having got my mitts on some of this I now realise that I do not have a definitive recipe as such. I remember reading that some use half a bottle (220ml) for 5 gallons of TC. Does it follow that I just use 44ml for a gallon trial of raspberry turno cider in place of some of the aj? Or am I confusing this with a wine recipe?

For a TC I tend to go with half bottle of the Lowicz in a 5l trial.

The morello cherry cordial at Tesco says it contains sodium metabisulphite, does this cause any issues? It says it's a preservative.

Never use juice with any kind of preservative as it will kill the yeast.

Ingredients:
Cotswold Spring Water, Sugar, Morello Cherry Juice from Concentrate (25%), Citric Acid, Natural Flavourings, Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite

Does boiling it first fix that ?

It is supposed to but the ridena wine i made when i firs started (boiled for 15 mutes) didn't finish fermenting and finished IIRC at 1010, when i searched i found many examples of the same so i then avoided preservative like the plague and never had another fail.

Never use juice with any kind of preservative as it will kill the yeast.

The amount of Na M in that is negligible and will be worked off in no time, same as a camden in your must. Noticed today that tesco has changed the recipe for the strawberry and raspberry, blackerry and added sucalose. Hating tesco at moment got rid of homebrew section as well.

Ive made a few batches of Skeeter Pee from 750ml lemon juice with potassium metabisulphite. Simmered for 20 mins and it fermented to 0.990 without any problems.

I suppose there is no way of knowing how much K-met each juice contains, but it would give it a go.

Noticed today that tesco has changed the recipe for the strawberry and raspberry, blackerry and added sucalose. Hating tesco at moment got rid of homebrew section as well.

Got stung with this myself. I was enjoying the cherry wow (3litres cherry, 1litre RGJ), but didn't notice the tesco recipe change until it was in FV. Ended up way too sweet :doh:

Has anybody used strawberry Ribena. ? I know it is full of preservatives but they can be boiled off.

Strawberry has the same as the original - Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulphite) i tried one and it failed even after boiling and so did many more members here, not worth the effort in my honest opinion as there are lots of juices without preservatives out there. .

Back