Star san

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornwall

Reaction score
Hi guys using star San for the first time could someone tell me the best mix, I was thinking of using a 5L of spring water from Tesco I'm using that as our water is very hard anyway and using about 10 to 12 mil of star San would this be ok.
I'm using it to sterilise wine utensils FV and bottles.
How long do I leave everything to dry before using it and do you rinse.
Anyway any help in this matter would be very grateful.

Kind regards
Cornwall

the instructions "15-25ml Starsan per 10L of water"

I go with about 20ml in to 10L and store it in a keg.
Its no rinse, make sure you cover all surfaces with it for at least a minute and then drain it and pretend its not there. Don't fear the foam

Hi guys using star San for the first time could someone tell me the best mix, I was thinking of using a 5L of spring water from Tesco I'm using that as our water is very hard anyway and using about 10 to 12 mil of star San would this be ok.
I'm using it to sterilise wine utensils FV and bottles.
How long do I leave everything to dry before using it and do you rinse.
Anyway any help in this matter would be very grateful.

Kind regards
Cornwall

15-25 ml for 10 litres so for 5 litres it's 7.5-12.5. I split it down the middle.

tesco ashbeck or aqua pura is better to use than tesco value(chase spring) for star san.

I use my tap water to make up Starsan, but it's medium hardish.
I don't bother with bottled water. That has also got mineral salts in it, and is certainly not distilled/deionised water, although I know others on here do use it.
The recommended dilution is on the bottle. I use 1ml in a 500ml spray bottle.
And although it's 'no rinse', I usually do rinse with tap water, illogical though that may be:doh:

Hi guys thanks for all the replies I now some of you have said no rinse and others have said they rinse do you get any after taste in the wine or is it just people's own preference to rinse or not I Will be using a bottle rinser and bottle tree.
What I'm looking for is a simpler way of sterilising 30 bottles as I make a brew every month as I have to keep the wife topped up if you now what I mean lol.
Does it dry very quick.

Kind regards

Cornwall

When bottling i use the crate and keep bottles upside down till full, and they get a starsan dose from a trigger spray bottle or if its knackered ( i go thru em..) a pour in dose and shake ..

After which they drain and get filled with beer.. No rinsing.. the starsan often foams up and laces/webs the bottle inside, this just gets filled on top of if it persists. NO tainting in flavors that i have ever noticed after over 4 years of use...

As Fil says, theres no flavour taint. I even tasted some once to see if there was a identifiable flavour that may show up in my beer. It hardly tastes of anything

Just use a bottle rinser full of star san and a bottle tree (I have a Fastrack). Its really quick

Hi guys thanks for all the replies I now some of you have said no rinse and others have said they rinse do you get any after taste in the wine or is it just people's own preference to rinse or not I Will be using a bottle rinser and bottle tree.
What I'm looking for is a simpler way of sterilising 30 bottles as I make a brew every month as I have to keep the wife topped up if you now what I mean lol.
Does it dry very quick.

Kind regards

Cornwall

Those that rinse do so I think because the foam just looks wrong and as if it should go. The soapy look perhaps? I was the same. Once you get the brain over that hurdle then things will be fine.

The foam is produced by the sulfanic acid, it allows the solution to stay in contact for the required 2 minutes contact time. If used at the recommended no-rinse concentration of 1.5ml per litre it can be left there, in fact I purge my kegs with CO2 and let the beer push the foam out of the top. Starsan can be used at higher concentrations for difficult jobs, dirty or damaged equipment and beer lines, but should be rinsed with boiled water or no-rinse concentration.

Please note StarSan is a sanitiser, not a sterilant at recommended concetration.

Hi!
Don't fear the foam!
There is no substitute for effective cleaning. StarSan is not a cleaner.
Tap water is not sanitary - don't rinse after applying StarSan.
Equipment sanitised with StarSan does not need to dry before use - I put a little in each bottle, roll it around to ensure that all surfaces have been wetted, pour it out and immediately fill with beer (or wine). Charley Talley, the inventor of StarSan, says that 30 seconds application is all that you need to ensure effective sanitisation.

The foam is produced by the sulfanic acid, it allows the solution to stay in contact for the required 2 minutes contact time. If used at the recommended no-rinse concentration of 1.5ml per litre it can be left there, in fact I purge my kegs with CO2 and let the beer push the foam out of the top. Starsan can be used at higher concentrations for difficult jobs, dirty or damaged equipment and beer lines, but should be rinsed with boiled water or no-rinse concentration.

Please note StarSan is a sanitiser, not a sterilant at recommended concetration.

Now that is an interesting one. I have never seen any reference anywhere to a 'no rinse concentration'. The bottle suggests concentration parameters of 15 to 25 ml per 10l. No mention at all about using the lower level as a no rinse or indeed the need to rinse IF using the higher level.

I'm glad I found this thread.

I've always used VWP for the last 2 years, but have just gone into corny kegs and VWP can react with them so I've got some starsan.

I cleaned my shiny new Keg with starsan, and then I rinsed it with water - yes I know!

Then I read the instructions as you do after using it, and it says under-lined don't rinse.Mmmm

So I've listened to the radio interview with "Charlie" and understand what's he's saying but I must admit I still 'slighty fear the foam'!

So in my kegs and beer lines, I fill them up with starsan, blast it all through the beer lines and empty the Keg, and then don't rinse any of it ? No flush with water - anybody ?

Really ?

Also what about the tap water ph. On average my tap water is probably between 7.2-8ish and it's says starsan works when below 3. I assume this means that starsan reduces the ph to below 3 when added to water ?

I'm glad I found this thread.

I've always used VWP for the last 2 years, but have just gone into corny kegs and VWP can react with them so I've got some starsan.

I cleaned my shiny new Keg with starsan, and then I rinsed it with water - yes I know!

Then I read the instructions as you do after using it, and it says under-lined don't rinse.Mmmm

So I've listened to the radio interview with "Charlie" and understand what's he's saying but I must admit I still 'slighty fear the foam'!

So in my kegs and beer lines, I fill them up with starsan, blast it all through the beer lines and empty the Keg, and then don't rinse any of it ? No flush with water - anybody ?

Really ?
Almost... starsan is a sanitise, NOT a cleaner, You still have to clean the equipment to remove dirt before the star-san can do its stuff..

your VWP is a cleaner and sanitiser.. starsan is a sanitiser.

the budget option for cleaning avoiding soaps and detergents as they contain ( i think its the ionic surficants??) lingering chemicals that can resist rinsing and remain to kill the head retention of a brew. is the generic unscented laudry oxi products such as the Astonish brand for £2-3 per kilo
take care with £shop products as they can mix the scented in unscented labled tubs.. do you want lavinder scented beer??

a scoop or 2 per 5gallon + mass of warm water filling a FV and left for a 15-20 minute soak is generally enough to lift off the nastiest crud rings on a fv.. A quick rinse off and then treat with starsan..

And yes the foam is a-ok, its Good in fact as the foam structure keeps the starsan in contact with tube insides etc

And if you have ever tried to dispense from a corny without considering temperature and reducing the kegs pressure before the tap release you know that 5-10l of foam = a few ml of actual liquid.. Ive poured 5l jugs of foam from a keg which when left to settle hasnt provided a mouthfull of flat beer..

Almost... starsan is a sanitise, NOT a cleaner, You still have to clean the equipment to remove dirt before the star-san can do its stuff..

your VWP is a cleaner and sanitiser.. starsan is a sanitiser.

the budget option for cleaning avoiding soaps and detergents as they contain ( i think its the ionic surficants??) lingering chemicals that can resist rinsing and remain to kill the head retention of a brew. is the generic unscented laudry oxi products such as the Astonish brand for ��£2-3 per kilo
take care with ��£shop products as they can mix the scented in unscented labled tubs.. do you want lavinder scented beer??

a scoop or 2 per 5gallon + mass of warm water filling a FV and left for a 15-20 minute soak is generally enough to lift off the nastiest crud rings on a fv.. A quick rinse off and then treat with starsan..

And yes the foam is a-ok, its Good in fact as the foam structure keeps the starsan in contact with tube insides.

Thanks Fil. I understand that I've got to clean the Keg first, and basically once it's clean, add the starsan and blast it through the beer lines and the just leave it and fill the Keg back up with beer and serve.

I can't believe I haven't used this before when bottling....!

So what other 'cleaners' do everyone use to clean the beer lines out, before running starsan through? PBW etc ?

lots of folk use the commercial purple line cleaner iirc circa £20 per 5l ?? and a 5l bottle should last an age..

Personally i dont keg in a similar fashion to bars n pubs with unsanitary keg changes ocouring when needed during a busy week requiering a regular line cleaning ritual.

when a keg is empty i use laundry oxi /starsan to clean the keg AND the line and tap it was just serving, and then when the next keg is connected i clean and sanitise the keg posts so when attached the 2 become part odf the same singular closed dispensing system, the clean and sanitised keg post disconnect line and tap all are part and parcel of the same sealed system.

Any leaks or ways for nasties to get in and either beer of gas would be pouring out ;)

So i dont feel the need to clean lines and taps until the keg empties,
I had one keg on line for over 18 months (Uber sweet ginger beer that got used for cooking) - no problems..

HOWEVER DO clean out the tap spouts post every session, dalex style taps rule as they spouts unscrew for an easy clean soak in water between sessions..

the long term on tap keg that i mentioned above did one day stop pouring, the spout had become clogged with layers of beer poured through and the microlife that had been feeding on it !! YUK!! it was closed tight with gunk!! I have pulled all spouts post serving for a cleaning soak since !! :whistle:

Back