Youngs strawberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trucker5685

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm busy doing a Youngs Definitive Country Strawberry Wine kit. All has gone well but it's not clearing. I added the finings 11 days ago and it's been somewhere cold along with another wine (not a youngs kit) that's cleared ok.

There is a layer of sediment but the rest of the wine is what I would call 'opaque'

Is it a case of patience or does this kit not completely clear?

Trucker, I will watch this thread with interest. I am about to start 18 litres of this on Sunday. I borrowed a couple of sachets of finings from two of the kits (I bought 4) for some other wine that I was finishing off and it didn't clear it very well.

So unless I see a solution on here my intention is to use a two stage fining.

Matt

Other wines I've done, solomon grundy, Beaverdale, Californian connoisseur, always come out crystal clear and even better after a trip through the Vinbrite lol, so I'm slightly concerned about this one. :wha:
I'm contemplating putting this kit through the filter to see if it makes a difference

I haven't made this kit so cannot comment but can recommend Kwik Clear (sic name) its the fastest fining i have used and a lot of members use it, for my juice wines i add 1.5 ml to each DJ and it usually clears the wine in 2 days.

kwik-clear-wine-and-beer-finings.jpg

I've got some of those so may use it, I'm just wanting to see if it's just the way this kit is or maybe the finings that came with kit haven't worked

I have made a few different kits and most have had 2 part finings, all have cleared in 3 days, i know with Vinclear once opened it has a short shelf life even in the fridge, maybe its old and has lost its ability to clear your wine.

Yeah I've normally used kielselsol and then chitosan but this kit only came with one sachet marked 'finings'
I've not used Vinclear before, I was referring to Vinbrite, the filter.

The kwik clear is on my shopping list. I also have never had any problems with two stage finings. Personally I wouldn't put anything through the Vinbrite until it looks clear as I think it will clog up.

Matt

I've only ever needed to add finings once, apart from 2 part finings of course. If I add some more will it be ok? No funny taste etc :sick:

I have to add finings five times to clear my sloe wine. They do have an effect on flavour, but they make the wine taste milder rather than unpleasant.

MattN said:
The kwik clear is on my shopping list.
Matt

You can buy small syringes from the chemist for a few pence, as you only use 1ml to 2 ml in a DJ using a teaspoon ( 5ml) is not the best way to measure it.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
I have to add finings five times to clear my sloe wine. They do have an effect on flavour, but they make the wine taste milder rather than unpleasant.

Thanks Tim, I'll try adding some kwik clear when I get in, hopefully that'll clear it and not taint the taste too much. It should've cleared by now if it was going to after 11 days, normally only take 3

Well I've now added some kwikclear and it's gone back in the porch and I'll check on it in a couple of days, fingers crossed. :pray:

Thanks for the info/advice guys :thumb:

Trucker5685 said:
Hi guys

I'm busy doing a Youngs Definitive Country Strawberry Wine kit. All has gone well but it's not clearing. I added the finings 11 days ago and it's been somewhere cold along with another wine (not a youngs kit) that's cleared ok.

There is a layer of sediment but the rest of the wine is what I would call 'opaque'

Is it a case of patience or does this kit not completely clear?
clear

i use a product called vinclear great job. you can buy it in 115ml bottles which will do for 5 gallons

Trucker5685 said:
Well I've now added some kwikclear and it's gone back in the porch and I'll check on it in a couple of days, fingers crossed. :pray:

How did you get on with this?

I am struggling to clear it. I added the finings that came with the kit and it didn't clear. I racked it again and added Kwik Clear and it still hasn't cleared.

Is it just cloudy wine?

MattN said:
Trucker5685 said:

How did you get on with this?

I am struggling to clear it. I added the finings that came with the kit and it didn't clear. I racked it again and added Kwik Clear and it still hasn't cleared.

Is it just cloudy wine?

I think it's just the way it is tbh, tastes ok so if it bothers you then drink it with your eyes closed :lol:

Cloudy wine doesn't do you any harm, i drank many glasses in my early days when i didn't have much stock was too impatient and had not discovered KwiK Clear.

I currently have this kit, still bubbling away even after 2 weeks.
I have just finished a Youngs Elderflower Wine, and have added the finings and it is currently clearer but not bottleable clear.

Did you degass the wine at all? I know there is snothing on the instructions, but apparently not degassing wine can cause it to have difficulty clearing.

I have put my elderflower in a cool place (actually a cold place, in outside shed) to see if that helps, it does say up to 14 days!

Fingers crossed it works! let me know if you had any success (extra finings etc).

All the kits i have made have instructed me to degas, if you don't clearing will take a lot longer.

Latest posts

Back