Wilko Rose Kit Stuck ferment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelymoving

Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if this is a bit basic but I can't seem to find the answer in the forums, and this is my first attempt at a wine kit.

I've had the 8 bottle wilko rose kit fermenting now for just over three weeks. After I topped it up with water after about a week it seemed to start fermenting again, then slowed down. The SG was reading 1004 and wasn't dropping any further. I gave it a stir and it seemed to start bubbling again. Now after another week it looks as if it's slowed or stopped bubbling and the SG is about 1000.

Does this seem stuck? Should I attempt to restart it or just move on to the next step and accept that for whatever reason it might not be as strong as it's supposed to be? The temperature has been a pretty constant 22/23 celcius.

Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you sure your hydrometer is not faulty as after 3 weeks at that temperature it should have been below 1000, mine finished in less than two weeks.
Have a taste and see if it tastes very sweet or dry.

Thanks for the reply Chippy Tea!

Just tested the hydrometer, it is a little out reading about 1002 in water. Tasted the wine too, it's definitely not over sweet, quite dry really, not far off drinkable I'd say. Perhaps I should just crack on with the stabiliser etc?

It is my first wine attempt after all so I won't be devastated if it's not perfect. Just not sure what's happened really, and as I didn't take a OG reading because it would have been false before topping up with water I'm not sure what ABV this will be.

If you like the way it tastes then move on to the next step, give it a week or two and you will be surprised how much it changes.

If i remember right it was around 12%.

If you get the home brew bug you might be interested in making your own wine instead of paying for kits which is much cheaper, have a read of this thread - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39846

Latest posts

Back