Cleaners and Sanitisers (Dilution Rates and Uses Guide)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isn't Milton just dilute bleach ? I use Tesco dilute bleach - dirt cheap..........

I am lazy so like the ease of throwing a couple in a washing up bowl full of water knowing they will do the job, they work out just over 5 pence each so price isn't an issue.

Milton tablets contains 1% sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) and 16.5% sodium chloride (NaCl; common salt). 1:80 dilution is used to sterilise babies' feeding utensils, including baby bottles. It is sold in dissolvable tablets which are then mixed with cold water and placed in a lidded bucket.

Does anyone have thoughts on The Harris "No Rinse" is it any good?

i have been using Brupacks Bottle and Barrel to clean items before using the Harris no rinse

Excellent info but perhaps it could do with some updating? I'm a new brewer and have struggled to find StarSan so have bought ChemClean and ChemSan following recommendations on this forum. Would be good to get some feedback and tips on usage from more experienced users. Thanks.

is it ok to use Milton Sterilising fluid. i have a 5 gallon bucket is a proper one just dont know how to sterilise my stuff, can i put it in the bucket and go by what it says. some of the stuff i was going to replace but i dont how these will clean. first time brewer tom caxtons i have if some1 can point me to the right thread thanks.

I use VWP for the first clean, at least overnight. Then I spray with Star San.
When I’m brewing I’m constantly spraying equipment and surfaces with Star San.

I haven’t had any infection so far, so I’ll keep doing the same.

I like Star San, it gives me a bit of added confidence, times such as getting ready to open a barrel or demijohn. Spray around the top, leave for a minute or so to dry, that sort of thing.

I just use hot water and washing up liquid to get things clean, then give it a good rinse.
For sanitisation I use the tesco or pound land version of Milton tablets.
Soooo cheap and very effective. But I do give them a quick rinse after as I don't want any chemicals in my beer.

The idea of foaming starsan in my beer makes me vom a little bit. Why? There is a chemical warning on the back as its pretty nasty stuff, why would you want that **** - no matter how diluted - in your beer?

You may have a point there. To be honest, I never really read up on it. The guy in the shop said it creates an acid environment that wouldn’t allow bacteria and the like to prosper.

I’ll have to look into it a bit more.

The idea of foaming starsan in my beer makes me vom a little bit. Why? There is a chemical warning on the back as its pretty nasty stuff, why would you want that **** - no matter how diluted - in your beer?
Have you read some of the warnings for chlorine gas? It's pretty nasty stuff. Yet the water companies put it in the water for us.

Plus commercial breweries use no rinse sanitisers that are on-par, if not more aggressive than starsan. I presume you don't drink any commercial beers because of your fear of these chemicals?

The foaming agent is what's in toothpaste. Does brushing your teeth also make you want to vom?

Last edited:
is it ok to use Milton Sterilising fluid.
Yes, i use Milton Tablets two to a washing up bowl full of water, i pour a jug full into the FV put the lid on and swirl it and turn it upside down so it covers all surfaces i leave it 7 minutes and do the same again, i put everything else in the washing up bowl and again make sure all surfaces are covered. 15 minutes later job done.

1666542564860.png

Having read the recent post by @Hazelwood Brewery about his deep clean, I have had a go at cleaning my grain basket & hop spider.

Both were discoloured with an accumulation of hop & grain debris. I give them a good clean after each brew but they have gradually got worse. Lots of gunk came out of the plate chiller & ball valves as well.

I used the same process as HB, with caustic and Chemsan and am pleased with the results after two cleans.

However I had the same problem with the Chemsan foaming during the process. I know that other micro brewers use Paracetic acid after the caustic.

A few questions:

Is the purpose of the acid wash just to neutralise the caustic?

Does anyone know a decent supplier of a small/medium quantity of Paracetic acid?

Would other acids be suitable instead, such as acetic acid?

Where do you get the caustic cleaner from? I've just inherited a bunch of bottles that need clearing. I'm thinking a good soak in caustic will help. Can I just use dishwasher tabs?

Peracetic acid is an oxidising agent as well as an acid so is an excellent sanitiser but (like caustic soda) is highly corrosive and requires appropriate personal protective equipment to be warn.

Back