My Sloe Gin Journey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB2014

Reaction score
I gathered 5oz of sloes and added them, the contents of a 12floz (350ml) bottle of basic gin and 1.5oz of caster sugar to an 18floz (500ml) Wilkos swingcap bottle. I gave it a good shake and will turn it the other way up every day for the next two weeks then every Mondy until Christmas. Let's see how it turns out.

I've got 3lb of sloes in the freezer and was going to make my first batch of sloe gin as I've never tried it before, I seem to be getting conflicting info on adding sugar as some people add it at the end to your acquired taste, as it's easier to add than to remove if too sweet, in a bit of a conundrum now as to what to do?

I've got 3lb of sloes in the freezer and was going to make my first batch of sloe gin as I've never tried it before, I seem to be getting conflicting info on adding sugar as some people add it at the end to your acquired taste, as it's easier to add than to remove if too sweet, in a bit of a conundrum now as to what to do?

Absolutely - I added equal sugar to the volume of sloes in my first batch and it turned out really sweet :-? I now make it without and just add a little before drinking (if I feel like it), or I find that if I have it with tonic, the sugar in that is enough to sweeten it.

Absolutely - I added equal sugar to the volume of sloes in my first batch and it turned out really sweet :-? I now make it without and just add a little before drinking (if I feel like it), or I find that if I have it with tonic, the sugar in that is enough to sweeten it.

I think that's the way I'll do it, don't want to make it like a liquor, I don't tend to like anything over poweringly sweet, thanks for that :thumb:

This is my first time making sloe gin so I can't advise but I will say how sweet it turned out.

I got out the stepladder and gathered 18oz of juicy sloes and made some more sloe gin with the same recipe. I wasn't sure how much volume the sloes would take up so erred on the safe side and put them in big bottles and ended up watering it down by about a quarter or a third, making 4 pints 8floz of sloe gin.

Does anyone have any recipes for punch or well mixed-down, sweet party-type cocktails for sloe gin?

I have filtered the sloe gin through a fine sieve and am serving it in cocktails with Schloer grape juice and a little sugar, seems to be doing ok.

I prefer sloe gin to be a bit tart and not too sweet. The recipe we've been using for years now is:
1 Lb sloes (freeze them before adding to the gin)
750ml bottle of gin (whisky is nice too)
4 oz sugar
I believe the sugar helps draw the juice out of the berries, as does either pricking them all, or if you're lazy like me, freezing them.
Ours has been ready for ages now - we've got 2 bottles of it, so that's breakfast on Christmas day sorted.:cheers:

I use 370g Sloes, 110g sugar, 330 ml Vodka or Gin, all of which just fits into a standard wine bottle for the steeping phase.
Just started to drink this years production.
Brilliant, just like other years. :thumb:

I got out the stepladder and gathered 18oz of juicy sloes and made some more sloe gin with the same recipe. I wasn't sure how much volume the sloes would take up so erred on the safe side and put them in big bottles and ended up watering it down by about a quarter or a third, making 4 pints 8floz of sloe gin.

Does anyone have any recipes for punch or well mixed-down, sweet party-type cocktails for sloe gin?

Not a Punch but My other half does the Sloe Gin. After the Gin she makes a sloe port using the same sloes, sugar and any red wine I've made that's not the greatest and it comes out great. Most people prefer the port

Back