• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted-Bottles in kent

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfoley1985

Reaction score
Hi all

Ive just started out and am looking for some bottles. If anyone can supply me with 40-50 amber glass 500ml bottles id be very gratefull. Happy to pay a small fee and collect locally near gravesend.

The kit ive got came with PET bottles which is ok but i want my brew to have that realistic glass bottle satisfaction :) hopefully its drinkable... Im starting with a wherry! :)

Welcome to the forum.

If you have no joy why not visited your local pub and ask them to save some for you, many members have done this and the landlords/ladies are happy to do it.

Is there any specific brands that are better than others to rescue?

Anything in brown glass should be fine. I find ale bottles are better but as long as it's brown and seems strong it should be fine.

I also believe some people have trouble capping Hobgoblin bottles, but I have 2 and my capper and caps seem to handle them no problem.

Thanks for the replys all. Im gonna have a pop into my locals. If not i may just buy a load of banks bitter as its only 89p a bottle :) im not a massive session drinker tho so it may take me a while to get through 50 :)

If anyone does have any locally tho please do get intouch!

Thanks for the replys all. Im gonna have a pop into my locals. If not i may just buy a load of banks bitter as its only 89p a bottle :) im not a massive session drinker tho so it may take me a while to get through 50 :)

If anyone does have any locally tho please do get intouch!

Yeah I'm the same, a couple of bottles on a Friday and Saturday night when the kids are in bed is all I'm drinking at the moment. 3 brews a year does me!

Wychwood bottles are a pain sometimes. Label removal and capping. No problem with a bench capper though. Take some stuff to recycling bank at supermarket and maybe there will be a few there. Not saying that's where most of mine have come from!!!

Heres a thread brewski did in Jan last year on different bottle types. I try to stick to type 1.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51476
As hoptoit mentions de-labelling is also an issue with some.... you'll soon find which ones available locally from the pubs are 'easy' and focus on collecting these.
Since you will have some batches carbonating, some conditioning and some drinking you may find that you need to increase your bottle inventory into 150 or 200 as time goes on. I only brew 6 months of the year and I think I've got about 400 bottles in use at the peak of my brewing season. Storage is an issue..I have a dedicated bottle shed.

Thanks for this. Type 1 it is then :) is ebay a good pkace to go for a capper/caps? What is acreasonable price to pay?

Any of the homebrew shops do them...Wilkos too... £10-£15. I've got the more robust metal type that brewski showed in his post..was £15 I think....I found my Wilko one only lasted for a few hundred bottles... but I was was trying to cap some of the more difficult bottles at the time and think that had something to do with it failing.

A bench capper is definitely the way to go.
I bought a hand capper for £10 and did my first batch which was only a brewferm 9 litres. For the second lot of 23litres I bought a bench capper,metal one from my lhbs for £24.
Sort your bottles into sizes, do a batch the same size so you don't have to keep adjusting the hight on the capper. Also a bottle tree is a good investment, 45 bottles in one small area, way better than all over your worktops.

I've thrown 50+ clear and 20 brown bottles away today, after moving towards Corney kegs. Am happy to pull them out of recycling if needed (for free), nearly all are label free. Only problem, I'm in Dover so it's a bit of a drive !!! I do have a lot of brewing equipment spare so if you wanted to do a deal and come away with a few bits and pieces you're welcome.

My £10 Wilko capper has served my well for about a year but I've recently replaced it with an identical capper. I'm pretty sure the 1 wynchwood bottle that I owned before I chucked it, killed the first capper

Hi dan sorry but thats just a bit to far plus after the advice givenon here i think im gonna start with amber dark bottles.

Hi!
Old Mout cider bottles are my bottle of choice; dark glass, 500ml, so one pour fills the glass, and short enough to store in cheap, collapsible plastic boxes. I'm lucky enough to get them from my local working men's club (it helps to be on the committee :grin:). Get out into a couple of locals, buy a couple of pints and ask the question.
I bought a bench capper following a warning on one forum that used commercial bottles were unsuitable for wing cappers, yet it seems that many have no problem with them. However, the bench capper is easy to use and I'm glad I bought it..

Latest posts

Back