What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a Pliny The Elder IPA clone yesterday based on Bertus Brewery's 4th recipe. Dry hop in primary on day 4, rack to secondary on day 7 and dry hop again. Bottle a week later.

No idea what Pliny The Elder tastes like, but surely I'll get a decent IPA for my efforts.
I've had it at the brewery, so if you want me to taste yours and make the comparison, just send it... :mrgreen:

I've had it at the brewery, so if you want me to taste yours and make the comparison, just send it... :mrgreen:
Yeah, definitely. I'm bottling it this Sunday, so I'll try it in 2-3 weeks and if it tastes decent, I'll give you a shout.

Cheers

Brewed a blonde ale today using Williamette and Cascade hops in an attempt to replicate York Brewery "Snowflake" ale. First successful brew using my bigger setup - fingers crossed the fermentation goes well!

Bottled a Coopers chocolate coffee orange Stout yesterday, OG:1060 - FG:1007, the S05 really cleaned up. Managed to do my knee lumping crates around and now have an FV full of water sitting in the bathroom a big empty space in my brew cupboard which is very strange for me. I'm sitting with pillows under my swollen knee and an itch to get an English bitter on. Still, got my beloved putting bottles in the fridge and my beloved 15 year old twin sons, Git1 and Git2 running beers into me from the fridge so I'm thinking I might just pull through.

Nut Brown ale today. Bit of malty relief after a few hoptastic brews! Loved the smell of the biscuit malt.

Looking at a longer brew day with the temp down at 1C in the brewshed!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nut Brown ale today. Bit of malty relief after a few hoptastic brews! Loved the smell of the biscuit malt.

Looking at a longer brew day with the temp down at 1C in the brewshed!

Why does something always go wrong!?!

Discovered I had cracked the thread of the picnic tap on my FV. This isn't that big a deal except I discovered it AFTER filling it with 23 litres of wort! Quick slosh into my spare FV & losses were minimised!

Hit my target OG so might finally have a handle on getting consistent efficiency now as that's 2 brews in a row that I've been spot on. Silver linings & all that...

American pale finally on today:
4kg Crisp pale
1kg Vienna
100g light crystal
10g roasted barley

15g Falconers Flight 60 mins
45g Falconers Flight 10 mins
40g Falconers Flight flameout

Dry hop 50g Simcoe

Ferment with CML American pale ale yeast

Target OG 1.046
Target SG 1.010
SRM 7.5
IBU 36

Had a bit of bother with my mash temperature but think I’ve sorted it.

That sounds nice! What does the vienna give?

It should give it a light biscuity flavour.

I think it’s going to be quite sweet because my inkbird has been going up and down like mad during my mash. I idea what’s going on but it’s at 68.1 now about an hour in, but it’s been as high as 70 and as low as 64. The (analogue) temperature gauge on my Ace boiler reckons it’s between 60 and 70 so I hope I’m ok!

Disaster strikes! My chiller just snapped! I’ve fixed it best I can and it’s chilling, just vvvveeeerrrryyy sssslllloooowwwllllyyyy. Trust this to happen when I’m making a hoppy beer so no chill isn’t an option!

91153ED2-809B-43EF-9DE5-F768C6FA546B.jpg

80F2FA83-F52E-4617-AF91-99B14949D138.jpg

A rebrew of my Chocolate Lime American Brown Ale, only this time i'm going to split the batch and only dry hop half, the other half will be an Bretted Oak Aged Farmhouse Brown Ale.

That's the Greg Hughes Traditional Bock mashing away. Switched the bitter in hops from northern brewer to first gold as I have those and they are my highest alpha hops at 9%. Also decided to mash at 68c to lower the abv a bit while maintaining the maltiness. Bock are are bit weird in that I can find a bunch of mildly conflicting info between books, the old brewing styles book doesn't overly help as it says to do triple decoction... Infusion can be done but then he doesn't give details...

Kolsch - well, in progress. Mash water heating as we speak. Just hope the rain keeps off !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m disappointed with today’s PECO BIAB brew.
Was aiming for 25l but ended up with just over 20 due to the tap getting blocked up. I suppose perseverance and a fiddle could have sorted it but there was loads of **** in the bottom.
The false bottom and bags normally keep things fairly slick but not today. Not sure if this was due to a boil over and using leaves not pellets but ho hum. OG was bang on so 1 out of 2 ain’t bad !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bock seems to have gone well, record time too, mashing in to in the fv was 3.5 hrs. Cleaning was done after lunch and not efficiently but it would have been the fabled 4.5 hr Grainfather brew day. Essentially hit all number and it's now bubbling slowly at 10c in my fridge. Oh and 3 L of first runnings taste pretty weird after they've been boiled to a syrup for an hour...

I've had my fill of hoppy beers for the moment so today brewed a southern brown ale. This was my 6th brew with the Grainfather and I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it, everything went smoothly and I managed a decent efficiency for the first time with the GF. I was getting a BHE in the low 70s but this time I give the mash a good stir halfway through and that seems to have helped a lot, managed 79% BHE which I'm happy with :D

I've had my fill of hoppy beers for the moment so today brewed a southern brown ale. This was my 6th brew with the Grainfather and I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it, everything went smoothly and I managed a decent efficiency for the first time with the GF. I was getting a BHE in the low 70s but this time I give the mash a good stir halfway through and that seems to have helped a lot, managed 79% BHE which I'm happy with :D
Did you make any changes to your water treatment regime for the full volume mash?

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Latest posts

Back