Any experience with using dried elderberries ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just as the title reads :mrgreen:

have bought some to use in a brew I'm probably going to put on tonight.... my LHBS had the Youngs 500g bags that are just about to go out of date, so got 2 for the price of 1

any comments or tips/tricks etc.. ?

Someone more knowledgable will answer you soon, but I'm sure I read somewhere that you don't need as many dried as you would fresh (I think it was half, but don't quote me).
So If you've got a kilo you've got more than enough to make some wine. I can't see how they'd go off either being dried, although I could be wrong.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm sure someone else will come up with the info you need. :)

Got a couple of recipes for dried and says 8oz per gallon, so in metric about 227g, not used myself though.

They don't go off but, like anything else, they can't be sold beyond their 'expiry' date. B est used with red grape juice to improve what would otherwise be a rather pale and bland wine. Also excellent in combination with blackberries.

Recipe

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4376

As for ratios
Dried 1Kg = 4Kg fresh
Only tip I can give you that isn't listed on that thread would be get it off the sediment don't let it sit on it otherwise it will spoil the wine badly

Back