New to the Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puzzlemonk

Reaction score
Morning. At least it is where I am.

I've just started homebrewing again after trying and failing in my twenties with a one of those home brew in a bag kits from the early nineties. I succeeded in making a beer I like to refer to as battery acid 😊

So this time around with a much better and decent home brew starter kit I'm having a proper attempt and making some decent beer. I joined here just so I can learn from the people on here about how to brew a better beer, temperature control, flavours etc.

I'm only just starting so I have a long way to go and undoubtably many mistakes to make.

welcome to the forum:thumb:
just ask away there is always someone around that can help you out
and remember the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask :doh:

Welcome!! Kits today, especially the 2 x tin kits which dont require any white sugar additions can brew you a pint you can be proud of, the skills needed are an almost ocd approach to brewkit cleanliness, and patience ;) the latter is the hardest to acquire ;)

Thanks folks.

I've just added the hops to my first brew, so shouldn't be too long now before I can taste the results.

I've built up some questions so I'll peruse the forums and if I can't find the answer I'll create a post. 😊

Thanks again.

If patience is hard, like mine, it's easier if you brew small batches every week. There for you're busy enough to let your batches hangout longer. Get like a month rotation going. That'll give you a beer needing to be bottled or kegged every week after the first month. I can brew and bottle on the same day since there's plenty of time during mash and boil. In a lot of cases you can put the wort right on top of the trub from the batch you just bottled. I did it once with a batch that was even racked off to secondary and it went fine.

Grumpy old git warning!! when i was a lad this was all fields etc....

you should have all been around in the mid 70's with boots n geordie beer kits that NEEDED months n months of maturing to round off the well known at the time 'That Home Brew Twang' THBT..

My first brew a boots continental lager (sophisticated or what?) was tasted 21 days after starting which according to the kit instructions is when it should be 'ready to drink' OH HOW FOUL WAS IT!!!! and the crates got stashed and forgotten, 6 months later the crates were uncovered and as a dare i again poured a glass.. WOW it had matured into a reasonable pint.. from that point on i brewed and stashed, living in shared accommodation i had to be imaginative as otherwise the house dipso (every shared house has one) would have necked it all green.

After returning to brewing after way too long off and discovering AG i brewed a beer (only the once so far) that was in fact a delight to sup 21 days after it had left the kettle. Taste is however a totally subjective sense, what excites my tastebuds may leave yours unimpressed.. so dont be afraid to sample early, just dont be disappointing if not at its best straight away...

Hi and welcome! You'll get some nice advice here, but we can't help with patience, haha :-)

Latest posts

Back