Morrisons Recall.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ffffff.jpg

I mind going back to the late 70's and my mother had got standard mince from the shop.The butcher was a big outfit and still is but when she pulling the mince to make meatballs she got pricked with a needle.
Down to the shop went the mince for a refund and a replacement and so we thought no more about it.
Two hours later the butcher appears in person with a box full of their meat products and apologies all round.Had that much meat she had to give some away to neighbours.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

:lol:

Joking aside what kind of prick puts needles in beans.

It's a serious problem in any food or pharma industry where the end product is consumed and particularly dangerous if consumer is already ill. A lot of time and trouble goes into make batches traceable so you can at least identify who was on shift when these were packed. A lot of these things are automated so it is not always easy for packers to get near the actual product itself.

The inference is nearly always that it is a disgruntled employee who is "getting their own back" on the company but most would know it is traceable. It could also be someone in the distribution network or even an end user who wants attention or compensation.

I worked for a Pharma company and also Rowntree (pre Nestle) and there is always a constant stream of complaints and a fair amount supposedly adulterated and they are taken extremely seriously. If an obvious reason cannot be found a recall will minimise customer loss of confidence.
The worst complaint we ever got was when someone sent a tablet back that had gone through a person and come out whole but obviously covered in faeces, makes you wonder if they checked every single tablet that they took like that!

I mind going back to the late 70's and my mother had got standard mince from the shop.The butcher was a big outfit and still is but when she pulling the mince to make meatballs she got pricked with a needle.
Down to the shop went the mince for a refund and a replacement and so we thought no more about it.
Two hours later the butcher appears in person with a box full of their meat products and apologies all round.Had that much meat she had to give some away to neighbours.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Reminds me of the butcher who sat on his meat slicer and got a bit behind in his orders! ( Sorry couldn't resist it)

Joking apart, this type of action can actually lead people to making spurious complaints because they have heard that if you complain they will shower you with products. In reality for most instances they will send a letter explaining and a small amount of recompense only if it is proven to be directly at fault.

Reminds me of the butcher who sat on his meat slicer and got a bit behind in his orders! ( Sorry couldn't resist it)

Joking apart, this type of action can actually lead people to making spurious complaints because they have heard that if you complain they will shower you with products. In reality for most instances they will send a letter explaining and a small amount of recompense only if it is proven to be directly at fault.

My missus once complained to Sharwoods cos they'd changed the recipe of a microwave balti ever so slightly! She got vouchers for 12 free ones... imagine if something had actually been wrong! Meanwhile she's been pestering Bachelors to bring back mushroom 'n' wine pasta in sauce. No joy yet.

I used to work in the red meat industry.
Needles found in meat were surprisingly common. Usually snapped off during vetinary procedures.
I always try to avoid Silverside now, due to the amount of instances of broken needles, abcesses from innocculations etc...

I used to work in the red meat industry.
Needles found in meat were surprisingly common. Usually snapped off during vetinary procedures.
I always try to avoid Silverside now, due to the amount of instances of broken needles, abcesses from innocculations etc...

Not so much a problem for green beans though!. I would expect that the manufacturer wants to look at the packaging to see if there are any holes where customers or anyone in the distribution chain could have pushed needles through and into the beans. This would rule out contamination on the production line.

As they will not want to lose their business I bet they find someone to pin the blame on.

Latest posts

Back