Small batch brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanStillwel

Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first post and I am very new to home brewing.

I've done three 1 gallon batches to date, one recipe kit, and 2 self designed recipe. The recipe kit came out really well, and I really look forward to trying my next 2 (one is bottle conditioning and the other is in the primary fermentation bucket).

My next recipe I'm looking at is a nice porter and as I'm a small batch brewer (1 gallon) I'm struggling to find a grain supplier of chocolate malt and brown ale malt under 1kg.

The brown ale I can just about justify, but the chic malt a barely need any.

Does anyone know of a small batch supplier?

Many thanks

Hi all

This is my first post and I am very new to home brewing.

I've done three 1 gallon batches to date, one recipe kit, and 2 self designed recipe. The recipe kit came out really well, and I really look forward to trying my next 2 (one is bottle conditioning and the other is in the primary fermentation bucket).

My next recipe I'm looking at is a nice porter and as I'm a small batch brewer (1 gallon) I'm struggling to find a grain supplier of chocolate malt and brown ale malt under 1kg.

The brown ale I can just about justify, but the chic malt a barely need any.

Does anyone know of a small batch supplier?

Many thanks
Google 'Bigger Jugs',not the cheapest but postage isn't too bad and they are reliable or Ebay,look for Homebrewlife11.They are quite reliable,again not the cheapest but hey!I have infact just recieved some Brown and chocy from the ebay guys.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Try Geterbrewed although postage rate is set at£4.50 up to 30kg but the like of Chocolate malt and roast barley will last a while.
I brew 20l batches but order my grain in larger quantities but store what I'm not using in resealable containers plus it works out cheaper.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Try Geterbrewed although postage rate is set at�£4.50 up to 30kg but the like of Chocolate malt and roast barley will last a while.
I brew 20l batches but order my grain in larger quantities but store what I'm not using in resealable containers plus it works out cheaper.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
I must say i do use them myself for larger amounts of items.However the postage is £5.95! to the mainland,which is a fair price , BUT you do really need to order a fair bit to make it pay :), also a discount of 5% on the items:thumb:

If your definately going to stick with 1G brews what you could do is buy yourself a grain mill (you can get cheapo carona style mills for about 20 quid. They're perfect for small amounts of grain. The hopper holds about 1kg) Then buy some uncrushed base malt (maybe 10kg or more) from get er brewed and then loads of different uncrushed specialty malts for different beer styles, as they do them in 250g amounts. This will then mean your not constantly shelling out on P&P charges. Uncrushed grain lasts about a year so you'll be fine if you dont use any of the specialty malts straight away

Since moving to the dark side, I've used the home brew company for my grain needs - they do 500g of chocolate malt for 70p or so. But for small amounts you are going to get hit by delivery charges unless you take the opportunity to stock up...

I tend to buy a few base malts in quantity and specialty malts in smaller amounts - they come packaged with an expiry date and I seem to get through everything. I guess it depends how often you are planning on brewing and / or moving to a bigger set-up. The legendary Wilco stockpot would allow you to get 10-12 litres out of a brew-day. By the time I get towards the end of an order I find myself running out of some things and using up whatever bits and bobs I've got left over which encourages me to try some "experimental" brews....

With a few yeasts, hops and odds and ends I can get the order up to £70 quite easily and qualify for free delivery.

Whereabouts are you dan?
Is there not local home brew shop.
They'll measure out small quantities.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 HD using Tapatalk

Back