Devil's Backbone Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torshon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, been brewing less than a year and am already doing all Grain, have had lots of success with Harveys clone, Dead Pony Club as AG before that extracts of london Pride, Mosaic Single hop ,a Ginger beer from the Mosaic single Hop, and old Peculiar

Have decided to try and make the Devil's Backbone UK ipa have managed to find the base malt recipe and by looking on a bottle the correct hops to use

put it into malt miller/beersmith and have correct IBU colour etc,

og1.051 fg 1.011 ibu 43.4(45) colour 7.5

4.7kg Weyermann (pilsner)
0.28kg Caramalt
0.4kg Torrified Wheat

18g East Kent Goldings (60mins)
18g Admiral (60 mins)

? columbus
? Centennial
? Cascade

my question is has anyone got any idea of how much columbus cenntennia and cascade to use during boil and dry hopping?
Or at least a ballpark idea to start with

Jason

Sierra nevada in FB bottling his weekend!

Is that the one Spoons use to have on draught? According to this is just pale malt " A mix of English (East Kent Goldings and Admiral) and American hops added late in the process. Single-infusion mash of Pale Ale malt, fermented in open vats."
Use a brewing calc to work out IBU and add the American hops at 15 then at flameout. You could dry hope with 25g of each or more if you want it hoppier. What yeast are you going to use?

Hi and welcome to the forum. This is a nice beer and I think you're on the right track. This is a guesstimate, but I recon the late hops are on the order of 80g or maybe a bit more, with half the amount of columbus than either centennial or cascade, and with all the late hops equally split between flame out and dry hop.

Hi guys thanks for the welcome, yeah this is the spoons one I'm trying to imitate, I'm aware that it's a Marston brew so will be using Nottingham Yeast, was going with 25g of each and dry hopping, got the hops of the bottle, will. Let you know how it turns out /when I start it, will come back online to give exact numbers etc and let you know how it goes

Cheers

I have ordered the recipe with updated hops amounts (thanks everyone)
was going to mash at 65c for a cleaner taste.

As people who have tasted the 'spoons' one do you think 65 or higher temp?

was going for 75 mins mash at 65
sparge at 77
boil for 90mins
first hops at 60
2nd charge at 15
3rd at flame out
rest as dry hopping

jus realised i haven't ordered the yeast!!!!!!

Cheers for that, have bought Nottingham 11g
Yeast,as it's similar to the Burton on trend Yeast used by Marston (at least geographically) right or wrong?
Hopefully I can get this brewed in the next few weeks, I will keep you all updated as it goes.

Torshon

Cheers for that, have bought Nottingham 11g
Yeast,as it's similar to the Burton on trend Yeast used by Marston (at least geographically) right or wrong?
Hopefully I can get this brewed in the next few weeks, I will keep you all updated as it goes.

Torshon

According to our bottle condtioned beer list you can get Marston yeast out of bottles of Pedigree

I'm also very interested to find out how your Devil's Backbone clone turns out.
Are you going to post your full recipe once perfected?
Thanks.

What i've decided on as a mk1 is:

og1.051 fg 1.011 ibu 44.8(45) colour 7.5

4.7kg Weyermann (pilsner)
0.28kg Caramalt
0.4kg Torrified Wheat

(All Pellets)

15g East Kent Goldings (60mins)
14g Admiral (60 mins) (replaced with Target )

10 columbus 15mins
10 Centennial 15mins
10 Cascade 15 mins

20 Cascade f/o
30 Columbus f/o

dry hopping 7 days
10 Centennial
10 Cascade
10 Columbus

If anyone has any amendments they think i should adjust let us know
quantities are fixed as ive ordered the recipe, i can add more cascade as i have extra of that at home, but others are fixed

Torshon

Awesome! Thanks @Torshon :thumb:

Let us know how this turns out.
I am definitely putting this on my to-do list.

Cheers.

Had a bottle of this the other day. Not very nice and much different than the the draft. Nothing left is spoons i like on tap.

i was not very happy to find out this was not on tap but then i tried the shipyard pale ale that took its place at my local spoons and was blown away how nice it was i have not tried the bottled version yet

i was not very happy to find out this was not on tap but then i tried the shipyard pale ale that took its place at my local spoons and was blown away how nice it was i have not tried the bottled version yet

the shipyard is a nice pint for sure but i liked the DB on draught better. its a shame spoons dont have it on draught as i always finished the night of with a couple of them:sad:
looking forward to here how this recipe turns out.

Latest posts

Back