Boon dogglle clone help please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey dudes.

I'm going to get my first brew of 2016 on tomorrow.
Boon Doggle clone effort.
I just wanted to run the recipe by you guys to see what the collective wisdom on this forum has to say, and how to improve.

Batch size: 23L
OG : 1.041
IBU: 32
BU:GU : 0.80
ABV : 4.3%
EBC : 9.3
Boil time 70 mins.
Mash at 67 until converted.

Grain:
3.67kg Maris Otter

Hops:
40g Fuggles (4.4%) @ 60mins,
10g First gold (7%) @ 20
20g First gold (7%) @ 10
20g First gold (7%) @ 5
30g First gold (7%) @ Flame out
20g First gold (7%) @ 80* for 30 mins

Yeast:
1L Starter of WLP005

Now the thing I'm wondering is, is that quite a lot of hops for an EPA?
The reason I've put so many in is because having used 005 several times, I know it can take a while to condition properly, so I've up'd the hop additions to counter hop fade, does that sound like a good idea or not?
Boon Doggle isnt really that hoppy is it, not to my palette any way.
as always, I'm not trying to nail a clone bang on, just so it tastes similar will do me.

I'm not familiar with this beer but I'm wondering if the fuggles would be used at 60mins like that. Seems you could use less first gold at 60 mins to get the same amount of bittering. Then if you want to taste/smell some of the fuggles use it in the later additions perhaps mixed with the first gold.

A possible option (without calculating IBUs) move the @20 and @10 first gold to @60 then spread the fuggles across the @5 and flameout additions.

There doesn't seem to be a clone recipe anywhere but you have the ingredients right. I would go for it, there probably are too many hops in your recipe, but it won't be completely OTT. And why do a wimpy version?! :lol:

Maybe add some Fuggles in late in place of some of the First gold. I think I've tasted Fuggles in Boondoggle on the odd occasion I've had it.

I'm not familiar with this beer but I'm wondering if the fuggles would be used at 60mins like that. Seems you could use less first gold at 60 mins to get the same amount of bittering. Then if you want to taste/smell some of the fuggles use it in the later additions perhaps mixed with the first gold.

A possible option (without calculating IBUs) move the @20 and @10 first gold to @60 then spread the fuggles across the @5 and flameout additions.

Ok yea, good thinking. I opted for fuggles as the bittering hop as I read it was traditionally used as such, but you're suggestion makes sense so I shall swap them about.
Thanks mate.

There doesn't seem to be a clone recipe anywhere but you have the ingredients right. I would go for it, there probably are too many hops in your recipe, but it won't be completely OTT. And why do a wimpy version?! :lol:

Maybe add some Fuggles in late in place of some of the First gold. I think I've tasted Fuggles in Boondoggle on the odd occasion I've had it.

Yep, agreed! Boon Doggle Extreme Edition!

I didn't get around to brewing today as I had the mother of all hangovers. One of those when you move your head and it hurts.... Damn beer!
So, brewing on Friday instead now.

Got this on today in the end, I cancelled work cos I couldn't be bothered (post Xmas blues) and had a brew day instead.

All went well, hit target gravity Bob on.
It's the first time I've used First Gold hops, to be honest I couldn't tell much difference between them and the fuggles, but the character comes out more once brewed rather than when dry right?

I think it's going to be way more hoppy than the original but hey ho, as I said above I'm trying to counter hop fade. Maybe if anyone wants to get a more accurate clone they should go with 3/4 of the hop bill and fine tune from there.

Looks and tastes nice already though so looking forward to six weeks time.

Im currently sat drinking a pint of boondoggle direct from the brewery, whilst watching rugby... any way, how did this turn out?

Very interested!

Im currently sat drinking a pint of boondoggle direct from the brewery, whilst watching rugby... any way, how did this turn out?

Very interested!

It's still conditioning at the mo, I have tried a sneaky one or two...
First one at about two weeks in the bottle. Crystal clear, lovely carbonation, small head. Nice clean malt flavour but not a lot of yeast and zero hops.
Another tried at three weeks.
Very biscuity malt, small hop finish.
One at about four and a bit weeks. Biscuit dropping back, still no yeast character but a little more hop flavour...

So now I'm waiting for this weekends family get together to try it out.
It think it'll end up fairly close, the original dies have quite a mild character all round.

Bit disappointed in the lack of hop flavour. I was looking forward to them. Never mind, I'll put more in next time!

If I recall correctly, there two two types of boon Doggle? A summer and blonde, is that right?
I'm sure it was on this forum not so long back...

I'm not sure on that one. Ringwood recently had a bit of a style makeover and the inevitable 'craft blonde' words were added to the Boondoggle label, but I'm not sure if the brew itself has changed.

I'm not sure on that one. Ringwood recently had a bit of a style makeover and the inevitable 'craft blonde' words were added to the Boondoggle label, but I'm not sure if the brew itself has changed.

Ah I see, that may well be it then.

Either way, the effort I made was the one containing first gold hops.
But that hop bill on the link you shared looks even better, might have to try that next!

Back