britewort error!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
hey can anyone help?

I put a whole tab of these into my last beer (10 min boil) without following the instructions of just a quarter!

the company is Harris and the ingredients are kappa carrageenan.

can anyone reassure me I haven't ruined this current batch I added a whole one to.

or shall I just say goodbye to it gracefully and put it down to another novice error?

Carrageen is just a type of seaweed. We put it in beer to help clear it, that's all. Adding too much won't harm at all.

cheers me ol fruit, that's reassuring. I can relax now. nothing worse than giving a beer three weeks in the fv for it to be ruined all along.
Also means the pack is 38 brews worth of product, which is total value for money (if it works anyway)

Cheers

The beer will be fine, but it may not clear as intended.
Carrageen works by having a positive charge (or negative depending where you read), and the proteins and polyphenols are negatively charged, the seaweed attracts the proteins and polyphenols and they coagulate and drop out.
Now, I did read somewhere that too much carrageen can have the opposite effect, but I can't find it anywhere at the mo, and I wanted to refresh my memory as to why that happens as I can't remember the science behind it. I'd be interested to know how the clarity turns out once its conditioned please fella.

will let you know mate.

I'm planning on one more week with this one as the temp was bit high within the first few days so I'm hoping three weeks will give it some extra time to clean up

well I racked up sat and ill be honest it didn't look great. it didn't help disturbing the yeast cake either as for some reason the gervin didn't seem as solid as last batches. plus I didn't use a muslin around the syphon so I was getting some hops through which Tbh hasn't ever been a problem as I've only dry hopped small amounts (20-25g loose pellets) but this time everything seemed a bit agitated. I think an extra day would have allowed the hops to settle to the floor (only had four days)
saying this its still early days but I was expecting a result straight from the FV. its cloudy now but ill reply again on the final outcome in a few weeks. the bottles should contain a fair bit of the seaweed and hopefully not do any adverse effects as you mentioned although first impression it is lookin like this may be the case of using too much than too little. we shall see.
hope your most recent batch looks more promising!

"Patience is a virtue." is never more true than in brewing! :thumb:

First Post about nine days ago! After nine days I'm just thinking about taking a look at the FV's air-lock to see if the yeast is still working.

If it is I leave it alone for another three or four days and if it has stopped then I leave it to cool down (and hopefully clear) for another three or four days before bottling.

Take your time and remember that as in love-making coming first doesn't always mean that you win! :whistle: :whistle:

Back