AG - Hot & Cold Break Gloop - How to keep out FV?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baggybill

Always learning...
Reaction score
AG#5 today (full volume BIAB) and again tons of hot & cold break junk floating about in the boiler at the end.

I tried 'whirl pooling' for the first time and left it for a while. Top half was crystal clear, took my SG from this but, alas, half way through running into FV, the dreaded gunk could be seen :doh:

Ended up with tons of this c* in the FV (as usual!). It's a 20L brew so gonna lose at least a couple of litres to this once it settles out.

Any tips for filtering this stuff out or at least stopping most of it ending up in my FV? :hmm:

how do you transfer ??? just curious

It is difficult because it will be different for everyone.. based on equipment . water levels..

I try to accomodate a liter or so in my water cals and leave the last liter behind even though I end up tipping my bot as it goes through the ball tap.. recently I have been getting 1-2cm max

Another question which may seem or not seem related what hops did you use?? I for some reason always has more trub with leaf than pellets. Don't ask me why I would think pellets would get in more but their either don't or just compact better

Doing 12.5L stove top AG halves of my partial mash brews, I just got used to the idea that there would be about 2.5 liters of trub at the end.

If you do a more sophisticated version, you still get the same effect. It does not ruin the finished product in any way I ever detected, though I do rack the beer to a secondary FV after 2 wks, for another week before bottling.

Unless you are entering your beer in a competition, I would just accept that you will have some stuff in the bottom of the FV in a fortnight's time.

You still lose that volume whether it is filtered out and stays in the boiler, or whether you leave it behind in the FV after fermentation. It doesn't get bottled either way. I find it makes no difference to the beer in the end as long as you don't stir up the fine floaty stuff as you syphon it into the bottling bucket. Sometimes my FV has what looks like a huge pile of sludge on the bottom just after I transfer it into the FV, but it settles down to a few cms in a few days and compacts itself.

I've stopped worrying about it. If my boiler filter clogs, I'm quite happy to just bale the lot into the FV with a sterilised pan. Sounds sloppy and dangerous? Some of my very best beers have started out like this. What I've learned to avoid is mucking about with untried recipes and un-tested hopping schedules. These are the only way I have spoiled beer, and it was just a matter of not liking the flavour as much as my regular recipes.

Latest posts

Back