Bud Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
My local pubs bud bottles seem to have changed to a twist cap.
Has anyone bottled with these?
I had sterilized about twenty bottles before I noticed and didn't want to chance wasting any beer, so used all 500ml bottles. But they are nice 330ml bottles and the pub goes through plenty of them.
Ive done one bottle of beer in one and it seems to be holding ok. Although the one dry test I did the lid came off supper easy with a little twist.
What do you think??

John

Personally I'd chuck them. I've never managed a satisfactory seal that I was happy with to be honest. They waste decent brown glass putting a screw cap on them.

I had a day of the dead bottle which are twist top, I remember capping with a crown cap and the beer was fine. Maybe try bottling two or 3 and see how they keep. If they are bad then only 2 or 3 bottles have gone to waste.

I used a screw cap by accident once too. The cap didn't seem to fit properly but I held a seal and carbonated fine.

It wouldn't be my preference but I think the idea of testing with a few bottles is a good one. It would be a shame to lose a good source of bottles if there is no problem.

I've used PET bottles with screw caps in the past and they always seemed to work fine.

I also tried using Bud bottles once but the collar was too small for the capper to make a proper seal. If you can get the screw tops to work well it sounds like you're onto a winner with a free supply of bottles. (Which is an excuse to make loads of beer to fill them with.)

I had a day of the dead bottle which are twist top, I remember capping with a crown cap and the beer was fine. Maybe try bottling two or 3 and see how they keep. If they are bad then only 2 or 3 bottles have gone to waste.

I had some day of the dead proper nice, don't remember the screw bit though...

I've used PET bottles with screw caps in the past and they always seemed to work fine.

I also tried using Bud bottles once but the collar was too small for the capper to make a proper seal. If you can get the screw tops to work well it sounds like you're onto a winner with a free supply of bottles. (Which is an excuse to make loads of beer to fill them with.)

I have two locals, one is a nice pub, three ales on pump that they change around and aren't doom bar.
The other is full pregnant chavs drinking plenty of kopparberg and bud which I get great an endless supply of bottles from

Is the screw top on beer bottles an improvement? :-? Chavs can't figure out how to get into it?

As seen here...with a crown cap! :D
Budweiser-launches-twist-off-bottle-caps-for-pubs.jpg

I had some day of the dead proper nice, don't remember the screw bit though...

I got them from an off licence in Finsbury park. This was 2 years ago now so maybe they've changed their bottles. It's nice beer! But was surprised at the screw top.

Back