Why does my AG beer taste so bad??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also recently discovered that I have a slight infection issue going on.

I've discovered a recess inside the sample tap of my fermenters that didn't get cleaned in my normal routine and yeast residue buildup has been left behind. I can only assume producing a minor bacterial infection leaving a yeast twang to my last few brews.

Needless to say the sample tap now gets stripped down at the clean stage after every ferment. So it's not only good sanitising but also meticulous cleaning that needs attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice. If you have a tap on your FV then it can get a bit gungy if you don't take it out and clean the threads...

Good advice. If you have a tap on your FV then it can get a bit gungy if you don't take it out and clean the threads...

Quite right, this is the reason I stopped using FVs with taps, more hassle than they're worth.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Even though i don't have any brew fridges and the temps have been too high many times in the past i normally have 4-6 FV's on the go at all times. So i would of thought they would all be the same if it was heat but they just seem to be random. I doubt its underpitching as i always make a starter so points to an infection i guess. I am up to brew 107 now so its not the end of the world but not exactly something i am happy about. To be honest i should start trusting my gut and if it tastes cack at bottling time ditch it. Never found any of mine to improve if i don't like it. And i don't have any taps on my buckets as fate would inevitably cause a leak. The batches are all a few months apart so probably lazy sanitising. Was suffering badly with my hands for a while so wouldn't be surprised.

The thing is though this wasn't the threads as you would think. I found that Inside the tap is a bulb like cavity before where the ball valve is. And that's where the buildup has been.

I couldn't live without the taps personally. Means easy sample testing while the beer is fermenting and doing its thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thing is though this wasn't the threads as you would think. I found that Inside the tap is a bulb like cavity before where the ball valve is. And that's where the buildup has been.

I couldn't live without the taps personally. Means easy sample testing while the beer is fermenting and doing its thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also find on the taps that are moveable independent to the thread bit can build up gunk as well. I tend to replace them after several months use

I also find on the taps that are moveable independent to the thread bit can build up gunk as well. I tend to replace them after several months use

I still use plastic so the taps are no more than £5 in wilkos. I only have a tap on the BB i've replaced 1 fv 1 capper and one bottling wand in 20 months of brewing. the wand & capper broke.

so not too much of a hardship to replace stuff.

Solvent taste is most likely to be fusels and at this time of year with a particularly hot summer we're having that's likely to be the culprit.

Other things can contribute, like type of yeast used, gravity of the beer, aeration and pitching rate.

As far as I know infection doesn't cause a hot solvent taste.

Latest posts

Back