Unfortunate first post

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko23

Reaction score
Hi, been lurking for a while here, it's really been useful. Fairly new to brewing, and didn't want this to be the first post. Been in primary for a week, smells great, but looks infected! Am I right? Not had an infection before

image.jpg

That looks like yeast trub that's floating - happens sometimes. If it smells foul it's infected.
Leave it another week - it may settle, it may not.
Then just bottle it if it still smells & tastes good.

Thanks! It actually smells fantastic, so I'm hoping it's ok. I'll leave it a few days before dry hopping, see if it clears

I think that's ok from what you describe. If it is still there in a week just bottle from beneath the surface, trying not to suck it into the bottles.

I see to freak out about how my beer sometimes looked. What yeast did you use? Some leave some rank-looking crusts on top.

If it smells fine, it'll be fine.

It looks okay to me, I always leave mine 2 weeks. It should drop by then, but if it don't; no matter.
I never open the lid before 2 weeks to lean over and look at it anymore either, skinflakes, dandruff, sweat etc are all possibly carriers of unwanted bacteria. :-?

+1 for keeping the lid on, especially over the coming summer months. Also +1 for it looking ok and if it smells ok then leave it until you're ready to bottle or keg it and take it from there.

Still a little bit of activity. I keep opening the lid to a minimum, was just taking a sample to measure gravity. It is smelling good!

I know it's you first brew but just leave it - no need to even open the lid until Day14. Every time you open the lid you risk infection, and this is the worst time of year for that.

I always found US-05 to take an eternity to drop out completely. I usually got to bottling before then. Great yeast and that's probably the only issue I had with it.

+2 for keeping the lid on, I never open my fv for 2-3 weeks to check gravity or temperature and so far not had an issue (no airlock either).

Latest posts

Back