Hops later than earlier?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
hi hop heads

only recently discovered hoppier beers lose theyre hoppyness, especially IPA's the longer they condition. I was pretty upset by this but then it gives me a better excuse with the misses to drink more frequently.

would 2 days dry hop preserve the hops aroma longer than say 4-5 and give the beer an an extra months peak condition time?

and if a tea would be also the better option as this would not need more time for hops to saturate (for want of a better word):doh:

I'd say 4-5 days gives a hoppier result than 2 days, but yes drink hoppy beers as soon as they are ready. if bottling use brown bottles and keep them out of the light in the cool would be the best way to slow down the hoppy fade.

i've done a few hop teas and they are especially useful when your you're boiling wort with a high OG cos you get less hop utilization.

also pellets give you about 10% more punch due to how they're processed.

Yeah I agree 4-5 days I find is the sweet spot.. I think keeping your bottles as cold as you can helps them keep, which at this time of year may be harder.

I find with beer kits that you have a dry hop you have a window where they are at their peak.. my last ever kit was a Youngs American Amber Ale, it came good after 4 weeks but after 2 -3 months it faded after that it tasted if I was honest like a cheap kit beer because it lost all its aroma and flavour but while in that sweet spot it was very nice..

If you move on to extract or AG, what a lot of us do it add a lot of hops at flame out and steep them under 80 degrees for 20 or so minutes. this adds flavour and aroma and I think this hangs around a bit longer ( no science behind that just own perception ;))

If you move on to extract or AG, what a lot of us do it add a lot of hops at flame out and steep them under 80 degrees for 20 or so minutes. this adds flavour and aroma and I think this hangs around a bit longer ( no science behind that just own perception ;))

+1

As I do extract and a short part volume boil I leave them in the FV then top up with water and remove the hops 4-5 days later, with a dry hop 4-5 days before bottling. that gives me maximum hoppyness for my set up, without bankrupting me.

I'm an AG brewer and I pretty much do all of the above: late addition hops go in at/after flameout, my beer is stored in dark, cool places in brown bottles etc. For an IPA/pale at around 4-5% it will take up to 4 weeks before it's at its best and I have around 4 months to drink before flavours noticeably deteriorate. I also don't move the bottles unless I have to.

You can also try first wort hopping which will utilise hop bitterness and flavour better, and works well in higher gravity beers where hop utilisation is more difficult.

dad of jon
how to you top the water up of you're FV?

cheers guys

so key is to add plenty to boil making sure to do some at flame out. stick to four to five days dry and cold condition. would this be just four weeks room temp instead of the first two in a warmer climate (20-24c) ?

beer cat
pound stretcher or similar outlets do plastic buckets sometimes with lids. if you can get one bigger than the FV you can stand it inside with ice. just make sure its got a solid bottom with extra reinforced plastic.

I am not convincned by the cooler dry hop temp

I remember someone where did it and was very disappointed with h=it

I always understood it to be at 20 for optimal results

dad of jon
how to you top the water up of you're FV?

cheers guys

so key is to add plenty to boil making sure to do some at flame out. stick to four to five days dry and cold condition. would this be just four weeks room temp instead of the first two in a warmer climate (20-24c) ?

So I boil around 6 liters sometimes with or without hops, if without cos the og is going to be strong i'll do hops in 2 litres & malt in 4 or thereabouts. Then they go together in the fv for a while.

I top up with tesco value bottled water having removed the labels and starsan sprayed the outside of the bottles.

Why? When pouring the water in it's possible for wort to spash on the outside of the bottle and drip back into the fv, so if that wasn't bug free the wort splashes could pick up nasties. Some of these bottles are chilled from freezer to get down to pitching temp.

so i've never done a boil more than about 10 litres for my 23 litre extract/grain brews

Back