Fermentation stopped after a few hours?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave49

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I started a brew from a kit last week, it was a Brewferm Oranje Bock (12 litres). I followed the instructions to the letter, paying close attention to sanitising everything, etc, put the yeast in at 3 pm on the thursday, job done!
Friday morning I had hoped to see some action from the airlock, but nothing happening. Friday 3pm still nothing, so I lifted the lid to take a peek and could see slight evidence of krausen, but no movement, bubbles etc. But what I did notice was some evidence of something having happened because there were brown marks up the side of my FV indicating that maybe there had been some vigorous activity, that had now subsided.
The kit was only a few days out of date, but I was wondering whether the yeast was old and tired?
Any suggestions as to what could have happened, or even better, how to get things going again would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks.

Did you vigorously stir or shake it up to get oxygen into it? Dried yeast need to reproduce to great numbers before they can get to work. That process needs oxygen. However if you made a starter with your yeast, you've finished that reproduction process so you won't need as much oxygen in the wort when you pitch.
So, back to the point, it's probably working but the yeast count is low due to improper reproduction. Give it time, it's probably working. Cheapbrew said it, take readings if you're not sure. You really do need to take readings. That'll tell you when it's done. 3 to 4 days of the same reading is good time. Those 3 to 4 days is when the yeast is cleaning up the byproducts it has produced. So you need to know when that ending has started.

From your description I think there's no problem. Have often seen vigorous activity in the first couple of days and then all goes quiet but by day 10 the FG is fine. Airlock is not a reliable indicator, CO2 may be escaping elsewhere.
So checking the gravity is the only real indication as was said earlier.

I have used out of date kits before one was at least 2 year old worked perfect so that is generally not an issue.

Let us know the result.

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. I did as suggested and took a reading with my hydrometer, or, should I say, I TRIED to take a reading, because there were so many bubbles fizzing in the wort, that I couldnt keep my hydrometer still! I guess that in itself answers my question!
So, it's just a matter of waiting til everything settles down now!
Thanks again guys!:grin:

Yep. If that happens, you can just set the sample aside and it'll calm down a bit. But you're right, if it's bubbling then those little guys are doing their job. Ideally 10 days after brewing start taking readings.

Back