How to Transfer extra top off water a week later?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Fello beer patriots

Im considering topping up my Young's IPA from 20L to 22L by the end of the week (to get the ABV lower and few more pints) Its 3 days from pitching and im expecting the inevitable eruption of krausen.

Im not getting a clear enough answer on how you would top off the wort without aeration from transferring the extra water.

My plan was to pour the bought mineral water (ashbeck) through a submerged funnel so as to make a direct route for the water with hopefully no air introducing flaws.

Has any one got any useful tips on topping wort off?:thumb:

I wouldn't worry about it.

The krausen is a layer of CO2 and bubbles protecting the beer, and any small amount of oxygen will be eaten up by the yeast if it's still active. Some yeasts (Worthington White shield?) actually need constant aeration during the fermentation to keep them active.

I usually prime my beer for bottling by adding a half pint of sugary near boiling water directly into the primary. And then bottling itself probably exposes the beer to plenty more air.

If anything poking a funnel in there is just another potential way to infect the beer.

Hi Fello beer patriots

Im considering topping up my Young's IPA from 20L to 22L by the end of the week (to get the ABV lower and few more pints) Its 3 days from pitching and im expecting the inevitable eruption of krausen.

Im not getting a clear enough answer on how you would top off the wort without aeration from transferring the extra water.

My plan was to pour the bought mineral water (ashbeck) through a submerged funnel so as to make a direct route for the water with hopefully no air introducing flaws.

Am I being stupid here but you haven't pitched the yeast??

Do you batch prime?

Covrich

I pitched the yeast sat evening (approx 5pm) but as another post has mentioned with stronger batches/ones that erupt, its best to brew short, then top off later after the high krausen, preventing a chance of a blow off.

Yes i batch prime, can the water be added with the priming sugar on bottling day?

Spoon

Sounds reassuring. Cheers

Hi Fello beer patriots

IMO folk worry far too much about doing this and doing that, I'm not exactly a Luddite as regards my brewing but only had one go down the drain in over 40 years,chill and just go for it

Your funnel idea sounds fine. But I'd do it just before bottling. Make sure you stir gently to mix the water into the new beer so you dont get any stratification and uneven OG of the beer. Then leave for 30 mins for any sediment to settle out then bottle as normal

cheers myqul, I had this as the best option. just debating on just using ashbeck straight from bottle or boiling it the night before and leaving it covered till bottling following day.

Latest posts

Back