Wherry help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stufinn

Reaction score
Hi

I'm very new to all this so please excuse stupid questions and schoolboy errors.

I started my first ever home brew kit two weeks ago, Wherry was recommended to me as apparently if I liked Doom Bar then I would like the Wherry.

I'm after some advice as I have added youngs finings after two weeks and fermentation had stopped but brew still seems to have bits floating on top.

I'm going to bottle the brew and was going to add sugar to bottles, was planning on doing this today but not sure if it's ready.

Any help/advice would be as welcome as a pint on a Friday evening after a nightmare week at work 😉

Stu

image.jpg

Welcome aboard! The only way to really tell if fermentation has stopped is to use a hydrometer. The brew looks fine to me by the way! Rather than priming bottles individually, if you have another bin it is easier to mix the priming sugar with some boiled water, let it cool then syphon your beer into it, then bottle from that. Makes the process quicker...

That brew looks fine to me too, bits floating on top are nothing to really worry about, It's usually a few bit of dead yeast that have clumped together and will drop eventually. I've never used finings in beer except many years ago when they came as part of the Tom Caxton Supersystem kits (which no one seems to remember)

Manse is right the only way to really tell is with a hydrometer but I tend to use my eyes as it's the way I have always done it. Wherry tends to finish quite quickly so two weeks in and it should be there or there abouts. If you are worried then grab a hydrometer, they are only a couple of quid or so from Wilkos.

Hope that helps and reassures

A

Thanks guys

I have bought another bin so I can batch prime, any recommendations on how much sugar to use?

Going to use granulated silver spoon.

Also tested with hydrometer and its sitting around 1012 so guessing all ok to prime.

Do I need to let it settle once primed and transferred to new bin before bottling?

Sorry for all the newbie questions

Stu

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

I take hydrometer readings and when I get the same reading two days in a row that's when I know fermentation is done. Once you have transferred the beer from the fv into the bottling bin you can go ahead and bottle straight away. Rough guide for 23l of ale is about 125g of sugar. The calculator above is really useful.
The only daft question is the one you don't ask....

Hydrometer reading stable for a few days or so low it has certainly finished 1008 to 1010 (I leave for two weeks so usually is done or obviously not... 1020 for example when I tried what turned out to be a trappist strain cropped from a bottle that kept up for another week but was clear as crystal when finished).

I would be surprised if Wherry will drop much more from 2012, so if that reading is accurate you are ready to bottle. Never hurts to leave a bit longer in the FV though, but if you have added finings it should be reasonably clear now, ready for bottling.

Regards priming sugar, I use regular Tate and Lyle. If you have brewed to 23litres you will end up with around 22l once syphoned into the bottling bucket. For 22litres 80g-100g for priming works well. 80g if you like your bitters less fizzy, 100g if you like them a little bit more fizzy, 90g if you are not sure ;).

Good luck with it, should be good. The hard part will be leaving the bottles alone for 4-6 weeks if its your first brew. You could bottle a few smaller 330ml bottles if you have some, a nice size for sampling at 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks in the bottle. Once its conditioned a bit you can hit the 500 ml bottles.

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys, very much appreciated.

All bottled now so guess it's time to try and take my mind off it for a while.

image.jpg

As you are using clear bottles, worth putting them somewhere dark to condition. Worth keeping the sun off them, UV light 'skunks' beer.

Hope it turns out great! I'm sure it will.

I would suggest you don't need to use finings. You will get a clear beer without them, and they strip out a certain amount of flavour. They will speed up the clearing process, but I reckon it is better just to wait, leave the beer to clear, put it somewhere cold or cool if you can.

Latest posts

Back