Pale Ale [Greg Hughes page 122].

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ha - I've been assuming the yeast would attenuate at the kind of levels I am used to. I have also substituted US05 for the suggested yeast as I had that in hand.

Thanks for the info Slid.

I pitched the re-hydrated yeast at 9am this morning and five hours later still no activity. Temperature is 20c. I'll just have to be patient.

With that grain bill for 23 litres, 75% efficiency and 80% attenuation, I get an OG of 1044 and an ABV of 4.6%.

I get an ABV of 3.8% if I use an efficiency of 70% and and atttenuation of 70%.

The book doesn't seem to mention efficiency or attenuation.

Whatever the book is based on, if ABV matters to you then you need to aim for the OG given in the recipe (or whatever you want it tobe) using what you know about your own brewing efficiency, and take into account the expected yeast attenuation. I always stick my recipes into Brewmate and adapt them if necessary using my expected efficiency and attenuation until I get the OG, ABV, IBUs that I'm after. It's easy and quick, once you've done it a few times.

Greg Hughes recipes specify no efficiency.. my saison I did the other day (the one I saved) wa sbased on greg hughes and you put that in brwe mate and you get different figures.not massively different i think his saison was based on 73% efficiency so you're talking 2 points or so difference.. as long as you're in the ball park

Thanks for the input gents. I'm not put out that it might come out on the stronger side - I'll just treat it differently when it comes to drinking it. Right now, I'm wondering why it hasn't yet started fermenting. I pitched the pack of rehydrated yeast at 0900 and it is still like a millpond. I haven't used US05 before, maybe it is a slow starter. I think the Cooper's Ale yeast I have been using up till now would have shown some sign of making an effort by now. Temperature is 20 - 21C.

On the matter of knowing my brewing efficiency - I'm a bit of a beginner to be too sure about that, although I am getting a feeling for how my methods work at least with MO.

I'm thinking of this for this week - HBC do extra pale malt so I'll get my ingredients from them. Considering Danstar or London yeast - any thoughts?

Which Danstar/London yeasts?

US05 is quite a sluggish starter. Don't worry.

Good to be relaxed about efficiency and outcomes, you'll gradually develop an instinct for how much grain to use for the strength you're looking for. :thumb:

I used US-05 for the first time in my last brew. Took about 9hrs to get going . As I dilute my wort, I've found if I put about 5L of dilution water in a jerry can and shake the hell out of it to aerate then just whisk the wort with a mechanical whisk as normal. I've found my yeast starts really quickly even when I'm being lazy and don't re-hydrate.

I used US-05 for the first time in my last brew. Took about 9hrs to get going . As I dilute my wort, I've found if I put about 5L of dilution water in a jerry can and shake the hell out of it to aerate then just whisk the wort with a mechanical whisk as normal. I've found my yeast starts really quickly even when I'm being lazy and don't re-hydrate.

Aeration is an issue here with this brew - the only aeration it got was during the pour from the boiler into the FV about a foot and a half below. Not enough I suppose. It was at a temperature of about 90C when I did the transfer so I was a bit reluctant to start shaking the plastic container. Stupid really - I knew about the need for oxygen.

"Houston. We have a krausen."

:)

20150728_083846.jpg

Back