Progression

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razormedia

Reaction score
Hi,
I've now been brewing a few weeks and have had 2 successful brews and another IPA in the FV which looks promising.
I'm currently using 2 FVs and kits. Am bottling for secondary process.
I've been reading a lot about extracts and BIABs and just wondered about how everyone else progressed with their brewing as I'm enjoying making me the kits but would ideally like to take it further and experiment with different methods and tastes.

I went from kits and did 2 extract brews, then realised how expensive they were compared to grain so I bought a 21l stock pot to BIAB. I still do this now but use a 40l buffalo.

Most people think you have to go kits>extract>grain, but nothing wrong with missing any steps out.

Places like this will answer any questions you have.

I brewed four or five kits and made a few WOWs before, like many others on here, I tried Clibit's simple all grain introduction http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779

I bypassed the extract step entirely and I now do 10 litre all grain batches and the occasional mini mashes with a kit, and I've not needed any extra equipment other than a 15 litre stock pot. It's very satisfying and gives me lots of opportunities to experiment.

All grain ingredients are the cheapest and it's the best beer so, unless you lack the time to do it, AG should be the goal in my opinion. It might be worth doing one extract brew though, just to run through doing a boil and hopping a beer. You could steep some flavour grains too, and practise getting the mash temperature into mashing range. Use an extract brew to practise parts of the all grain process.

That said, I went straight from kits to AG and have only tried extract brews since then, to fit brews in when struggling to find time for AG.

I did a handful of kits, did one extract and then decided to do partial mashes and AG.

Extract was a good way introduce the boiling and hop stage to a brewer without the need for them to worry about mashing and sparging, once I realised how easy that was well there was no reason not to carry on.

Dont get me wrong extract with specialty grains and fresh hops makes good beer better than kits, AG is better and fresher but extract isn't bad however it seems to be the most expensive method because the extract alone is just well pricey.

To get 23l volumes (if thats what you wanted to do) all grain / biab you will have to invest in some equipment but you can do it without breaking the bank

I straight from kits to AG. As HisDudeness has alluded to, I do maxi-BIAB. Basically making a conentated wort on my hob and diluting it down, almost like a kit really.

What the others haven't mentioned is cost.It's why I went AG. Making AG is roughly half the price of kit (plus 1kg of DME) or extract brewing

I mentioned cost in my first few,words. :thumb:

<lets all gang up on MyQul> :-)

I brewed wine and beer kits in the 1970s and early eighties, gave it up and then started again with kits last January.

Then I saw Clibit's thread on simple AG, had a go and realised it was easy and a whole new world of experimentation.

The investment in a big stockpot and a couple of bags is all you need and the cost savings afterwards are massive. Results are far better. I'm thinking of pouring away some of my old kit stock brews. They just don't stand up beside the stuff I am now getting out of my new process.

I totally get the progression from kit to the holy grain that is AG brewing.

Yes it is the cheapest way and produces better results.

For me I'm happy with extract and a few steeped grains. I still get better beer than most of whats stocked in supermarkets for around 90p a 500ml bottle.

My extract wheat beer came in cheaper again at around 85p and is better than many german wheat beers that normally sell around the £1.75 or when they are on offer at 4 for £6. So it is a welcome saving and fun.

ps. funny how the euro has gone down but the german and belgian beers in supermarkets havent. They don't buy that far ahead surely? Or maybe the shelf stock is from the time the euro rate was worth more.

sorry, back on topic.:wha:

I don't have enough of a chunk of time for AG or the space for a 20 litre AG setup. Obviously doing 2x10 l AG brews takes up more time than 1 20l brew.

You do get a lot more of the same beer which has + and - points.

So yes AG is the way to go but extract with some steeping grains can also be a great place to arrive at. Expect to get some £££ savings this way just not as much as with AG.

forgive me Darth AG clibit but you can never be my father ;)

obe (extract brewer) wan kenobi taught me well.

I forgive you. But you should be mini mashing! :-)

Seriously. It's just a steep with an amount of base malt.

I started with a few 1g all grain kits that I was bought and, even tho I didn't have a clue what I was doing, produced some good beer. I then switched to kits for about 6 months while I tried to master fermentation etc before going back to ag. Kits are great for doing a half decent brew But the results aren't a patch on ag. I can't really comment on extract but the one I've tried (brewed by @dad_of_john) was really good so I'd definitely try one if I'm ever short of time.

Clibit took the words out my mouth, why not partial mash and then add your other half of extract at the end? it will be cheaper as well as a little bit better.!!

I went on the predictable, boring path of kits, kits plus tweaks, extract, BIAB, Full mash.
I've always said I would only ever bottle my beers and that I wouldn't go down the kegging route...a corny arrived on my doorstep last week.

I blame the enablers on here.

If you steep 500g pale malt with your crystal etc at between 64 and 70C it will make a noticeable difference to flavour and aroma. And boost the OG a bit.

AG should be the goal in my opinion.

Really ? Why have you never mentioned this before :-)

Kits -> all grain -> extract -> all grain/extract for me.

I did a few extracts after doing AG as I didn't want to miss anything out.

AG gives the best flavours etc. it's only down side is time - 1 hour mash, 1 hour boil plus all the heating up and cooling down. I've made an experimental batch which had a half hour boil which I'm waiting to taste. I'm also going to do a half hour mash, my suspicion is it will only reduce the efficiency which I can compensate for by using more grain. If they both work then that's an hour saved ( big if). The up side of the time part is it is only loosely linked to volume. So if you have the kit you might as well go big :-)

Latest posts

Back