experimental brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legojohn

born again boozer
Reaction score
Hi all,I'm doing an 10ltr AG brew in a bit and I'm thinking of this as the grain bill. Let me know what you think.

2.5 kg MO
50g château wheat blanc
150g Abbey malt
50g crystal

40g Admiral 14.5% for bittering
40g Challenger 13.5% as late hop

I'm thinking the wheat will give a nice mouth feel and the Abbey, a nice colour. I've also got some coffee,black and carrafa type 2 in stock. If you can think of any tweeks,I'm all ears ;-)

sounds like a lot of hops for 10lts.... grain bill looks good, should get a good OG :thumb:

Yes the Admiral hops give about 135 IBUs if boiled for 60 minutes. When will you add the Challenger hops?

50 grams wheat/crystal is less than 2% each, wont affect things very much.

You're close to a good looking recipe though I reckon.

I'm thinking challenger at either 20 mins or flame out. Then poss dry hop with both. Do you think 150g or 250g would be better? Many thanks :-)

You need to reduce the Admiral drastically. 10g would provide 30-35 IBUs. Which is pale ale bitterness.

I would add about 10g Challenger about 5 mins before the end of the boil. This would add another 3 or 4 IBUs.

I think 150g wheat would make sense. That would be about 5% of the grain, you could even double it to 300g, which would affect the mouthfeel more noticeably. As far as crystal goes, it depends how much crystal flavour you want. With the Abbey in there you could leave it out. Or just stick with 50g.

You're OG is going to be about 1065, which means about 6.5% ABV. Reducing the MO to 2kg would take this down to about 1055/5.5%. 1.5kg would make it about 1043/4.3%. How strong do you want it?

Cheers clibit! Think I'll drop the admiral to 15g or 20g and up the wheat to 300g. I'll prob keep the crystal to balance out the bitterness and the dry hopping. I like a strong flavourful beer (less bottles to wash)

10g Admiral gives you 35 IBUs. 40 IBUs is the bottom of the IPA bitterness range. 15g Admiral gives you 55 IBUs, which is the middle of the IPA range, 20g Admiral gives you 70 IBUs, which as it the top of the IPA range.

No worries. I think you'd probably regret going for 70 IBUs. I wouldn't go above 15g Admiral, unless you like intense bitterness. I realise quite a lot of people do, including myself, but it's a risk unless you are used to very bitter ales.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back