Bottling fruit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary_brew

Reaction score
Hi all, I have successfully brewed a number of larger kits but I would still class myself as an amateur. I am now ready to start experimenting but don’t want to ruin a whole batch.
This might be a silly question but could I flavour individual bottles by putting whole fruits in them when I bottle the lager? I was thinking of putting a cherry in a few bottles, a few blackcurrants in some bottles and maybe a raspberry in a bottle or two.
Is this a good idea or will the fruit just go off? I was thinking I could briefly boil the fruit before putting it in the bottle to kill any bacteria? I guess I should use less priming sugar as the fruit will have natural sugar in it?
I am currently fermenting a Tom Caxton larger kit. After bottling I will leave the brew at 19.5C for about a week for secondary fermentation and then age the lager in a fridge at 3C for 5 weeks (I read somewhere that one week per percent is recommended minimum?)
I would be interested to know peoples thoughts on whether the fruit would go off, how it would age or anything else I haven’t thought of. Thanks :thumb:

If your going to add fruit to the bottle you would need to boil it first I would have thought otherwise you risk infecting your beer. Alternatively you could rack It off into demijohns and then add different boiled fruit pulp to them. let them stand for a week or two then bottle up and you'll get the flavour without the pulpy sediment in the bottom of your glass...hope this helps....

:cheers:

Adding bits of fruit would create nucleation points and the bottle would in all likelihood explode. I've read that someone attempted to dry hop in the bottle (adding a flower to each) and the same happened.

There are plenty ways to add fruit, this is a good guide - http://www.port66.co.uk/fruit-additions/

You could try syrups at bottling, but you'd need to adjust any priming sugar additions. Alternatively flavourings, but these may taste artificial.

Back