Wilkinsons Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked over to a secondary FV today - very distinctive "nose" from the yeast, which I am washing with a view to attempting at least 2 further Saison efforts using the same "Belle Saison" yeast.

The next ones will not be quite the same quite "immense brew" - I doubt this one will be ready in much under a year.

Just remembered that I had written about my first 3 can Golden Ale Saison plus Candi sugar, back in November. Started on the second box of 24 bottles on Sunday and it has mellowed a bit into quite a smooth, but very strong brew. Now very clear.

Would I do this again? Probably not!

I recently discovered this golden ale in a pub near me and it's one of the nicest I've ever tasted. You can really taste the hops but it's also really light and easy to drink. Unfortunately, all you can buy away from the pub is a 5litre box for over £20, which I think is OTT.

It uses fuggles, styrian goldings and cascade hops, so I was thinking of buying a can or two of this wilkos brew and trying adding those hops to it. What do people think? Should be quite a simple experiment right? This could be the gateway drugs moving from extract kits to all grain! The next stage would be brewing a standard golden ale from grain and adding those hops.

I have 1 can of this left, can anyone recommend a way to brew this to 15L? I was thinking that I could add a stack of fermentables to retain the ABV, but will I be watering down the flavour?

The alternative I guess is to go can only to 11.5L.

If anyone's wondering, I used the first can to 10L which ended up going down the drain after a barrel tap malfunction. RIP.

I picked up a 2 can kit of this for £10 a couple of months ago and I've put it on today for my x mas brew. Brewed to 22 litres.

The last one of these which I made last year I added 2 x jars of honey after the initial fermentation. This kick started a further fermentation and added a few points to the finishing abv, making it a 5% ale. The end result was a great beer, sweet due to the added honey but very drinkable. Fermentation time was just over 3 weeks.

This time around I will add the extra honey as before and then dry hop with 50g of EKG (and possibly another hop variety) for 5 to 7 days.

I have barreled this 5 days ago after adding 1 x 340g of honey 12 days in and dry hopped with 50g of EKG a week later for 7 days.

I added 76g of sugar boiled and cooled in a little water to my barrel which held approx 18 litres.

Quick taste test aroma is fantastic and the taste of honey comes out but not too sweet and then the bitterness of the hops comes through wonderfully on the back of the throat.

Looking forward to this once cleared as my Christmas Ale.

Latest posts

Back