Will this be ok

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauldonnelly

Reaction score
Hi new to homebrewing made a lager got in dining room but keeps fluctuating between 16 to 20 ,its in its secco do week now any advice anyone cheers

Are you using Ale or Lager yeast?

If Ale yeast those temps are okay although it would be preferential for them to be as stable as possible

Lager yeast needs to be closer to 12ºc otherwise you may get really funky flavours.

I'm using lager yeast , it's coopers lager from diy starter kit,it looks more like a bitter than a lager in fv

Hi Paul

The Coopers lager with the white label and the green top comes with an ale yeast. The European lager that does come with a lager yeast has a very much darker label. If you got the can with the DIY starter kit, I would expect that it will be the green top, white label kit.

This makes a nice and very drinkable pale ale - I've done 4 or 5 and not been disappointed in any way. It was my first kit after a long break from HB and was just blown away by how much better these kits are than the ones available in the early 1980's.

I would check which can you got and if it is the one with the ale yeast, move it somewhere a bit warmer. No real harm is really going to come from a cooler initial ferment, it just takes longer. brewing at too high a temp initially is the one to avoid.

Back