Summer hoppy Blonde with single hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a summer blonde (it will be a partial mash as I have extract I need to use up ) with something like pilsner and munich malt (not fully decided yet)

I was thinking of trying a single hop, would Cascade make a decent single hop? Want something that can give a bit of bitterness but give a floral citrusy punch..

Would do a 60 min boil late additions (say 10 and flameout) then possibly dry hop depending on how it actually tastes..

Would Cascade fit that bill as I have never worked with that before? or do you guys have any other suggestions..

Thanks in advanced

I think so - I'm thinking of doing the same and just trying decide on which hop to use, Cascade was my first choice.

I'm steering away from Citra this time as, whilst it's a lovely hop, it suddenly seems to be over-exposed, even 1 of the 2 ales in my local is a Citra-based beer. I loved Oakhams Citra when it first came out round here, but now it and clones are everywhere.

I'm going to put Amarillo forward... I've got some clearing in a secondary vessel at the minute and the trial jar sample was quite promising.

Dave

I am at work now but I am sure there is a single hop cascade recipe in the Greg Hughes book - I was perusing the book last night for some brewing inspiration for the up-coming bank holiday weekend.

Bit loathed to post the recipe here for fear of copright infringement but the book is currently just £3 on amazon and well worth buying - has lots and lots of recipes in it - all whole grain recipes but with extract versions shown for each recipe also:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1409331768/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There is also a single hop amarillo recipe using mainly pale malt and a little Carapils/Crystal - I am going to try an extract and minimash version of the amarillo recipe this weekend me thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of hoppiness you after? Name a beer that has that kind of hoppiness if you can.

Off the top of my head I cannot think of much, but you know say for example something like Proper Job ( i know that uses 3 types of hops) but I mean something that gives that spike of floral citrusiness..

ps thanks for the suggestions so far guys

Cascade and Chinook are both intense/bitter grapefruity hops, used in Proper Job with Willamette apparently. Green Bullet from NZ does a similar job if boiled for some time. Simcoe is intense/bitter and also has some pine. Centennial is more rounded fruit but still intense citrus. Amarillo is more orange/peach than grapefruit. Summit is intense/bitter and a little orangey. Apollo similar I think. Columbus is intense and bitter, citrus but also 'dank' is a word often used - a bit like weed - cannabis and hops are related to each other!

Cascade Chinook or Amarillo are the hops that jump out at me for what you want

why not make the same beer in 3 batches and use one hop in each to compare

That sounds like a great idea.. I sadly don't have probably the equipment for that yet.

For now perhaps I will pick one keep a note of everything and then try it again with another hop.

Something to think about in the future anyway, might pick up some smaller fermenters or some demijohns for this sort of thing

Thanks again.

If you want grapefuity bitterness with floral I'd go with Cascade and Willamette, adding the willamette later in the boil eg at 10min and 0min. I'm not so keen on grapefuity bitterness and prefer more general citrusyness of Amarillo....so Amarillo plus Willamette might be nice. I've got some Amarillo and willamette left over from single malt single hop brews that I'll use in a 'tidy up' summer blonde type recipe using various pale malts I've got left over from various brews.

Latest posts

Back