Best home brew related purchase you have made?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't actually buy this for brewing. But pretty soon I found that Homebrewing involved a lot of bottles. Mates ask how many beers have you got at the moment? Might be 100. They think it's a massive amount. It's not really. I brew 5 gallons about once a month. Some beers benefit from a six to eight weeks in the bottle. So it's nice to store the empties and the full in a nice "private" cupboard. Mines in a cool part of the house and is my cellar.

Dave Lines book brewing beers like those You buy.

Set Me off on a life long love of brewing all grain.

Wish He was around to write more on the subject.

OK..I know I've had two go's at this already, but on reflection, after going to extract and all grain I have to say I really love brewing software. Its relatively inexpensive, but I can spend hours on dark winters days developing and redeveloping recipes. I use Beersmith2 ...not sure if its better or worse than the others available, its just the one I came across and bought for approx £20.

My very first kit, opened a whole new world for me!!

Now though I'd have to say the graham Wheeler bible and a bench capper. Been with me fir a long time and be lost without either!!

Either the £2 square meter of muslin that I sewed two grain bags from to enable my first AG brew. Or the £25 Corona grain mill, which means I use freshly ground malt when I brew.

I "borrowed" 2 milk crates from the milkman down the road. 20 bottles in each. Makes transporting from place to place so much easier.

I didn't actually buy this for brewing. But pretty soon I found that Homebrewing involved a lot of bottles. Mates ask how many beers have you got at the moment? Might be 100. They think it's a massive amount. It's not really. I brew 5 gallons about once a month. Some beers benefit from a six to eight weeks in the bottle. So it's nice to store the empties and the full in a nice "private" cupboard. Mines in a cool part of the house and is my cellar.

+1

I have:

14 x galaxy hop 2
36 x abdij
28 x oakey dokey
33 x noah knows

= 111, so like you say a couple of 5 gallon brews(or 21 litres as I do) and it soon mounts up. My other half reckons 140 bottles which would be right as the difference in the numbers would be my bought brews. I have a cherry beer on the go and that will be another 40 bottles so storage is a problem.

So my top 3 would be.

1. star san
2. bottling wand.
3. bottle storage.

This is slightly off topic, but I've set up a spreadsheet to help control my spending (and when I say control, I mean prevent).

Basically, I log everything I spend on both equipment and ingredients. Then I divide that by the number of bottles drunk. Because I'm a noob still I've only drunk 14 bottles and my average cost per bottle is an eye watering £7.70.

Lol. Glad its not just me.

Best buys :
Some 5l fv's. Great for trying out new recipes.
Brewing Britain by Andy Hamilton.
[emoji4]

Latest posts

Back