Razorback IPA looks like chocolate milk?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatch

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fairly new to home brewing but I've had a couple of successful batches, but my latest one seemed to be going fine until I put the hops in (slightly later than the instructions suggested as I was away for the weekend). The next morning the beer was almost opaque and this hasn't improved over the last few days. I'm beginning to wonder if there's some sort of infection causing this.

It's been in the FV for about 12 days now at a steady temperature of around 22 degrees.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

IMG_7355.jpg

Mine was the same and I posted on here too, relax most leave it , mine took 3 weeks in primary before I racked to secondary it's takes a while before this is as awesome as everyone raves about,

Hops are usually reckoned to be sterile (or we wouldn't be chucking them into our beer as a dry hop would we!) so the hops are extremely unlikely to have infected your beer.
But if you have not kept your kit clean and sanitised and kept lifting the FV lid it is possible you could have introduced an infection.
However what is much more likely in my view is that your beer has a suspension of hop bits floating in it, giving an appearance of being opaque.
I suggest you keep the lid on, and dry hop for the max time suggested, to give the yeast best chance to clear and drop, then go ahead and package.
Time will tell whether your beer is infected or not.

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping it might just be the hops in suspension as you say. Everything was sterilised as usual and the only time the lid has been off was to add the hops so I'll give more time.

Is there a maximum time that you can leave it in the fv before bottling? My local shop told me never to leave it longer than 10-12 days otherwise there'll be no yeast left for carbonation but looking on these forums lots of people seem to wait much longer?

I've left mine in the fv for 15 days at 22° and only then did I dry hop for 5 days before racking. Just give it time it will be fine.

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping it might just be the hops in suspension as you say. Everything was sterilised as usual and the only time the lid has been off was to add the hops so I'll give more time.

Is there a maximum time that you can leave it in the fv before bottling? My local shop told me never to leave it longer than 10-12 days otherwise there'll be no yeast left for carbonation but looking on these forums lots of people seem to wait much longer?
If you look elsewhere on here you will see I usually leave my beer in the FV for 10 days or so, rack off then keep it another six or seven days usually in conjunction with a dry hop. This gives me almost clear or clear beer to package, but even though it is not obvious, there is still enough yeast carried forward to carb up. It just takes longer that's all. And from what I read on here there are people who leave it longer than me before they package.
So 'fear the fear and do it anyway'!

Back