Blackberry Melomel 2017

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Started this on 10.8.17.

600g of Frozen Blackberries from farmfoods, boiling water over crushed simmered for a couple of min's and strained onto honey.

2lb of honey plus 320g of sugar
1 tsp of pectolase, tannin and citric acid
1 heaped tsp of wilko yeast nutrient.
gv4 yeast

This is busy fermenting still, only used 1 tsp of nutrient thought the blackberry juice would add some more.

What's the difference between this and a blackberry wine?

Possibly naively, but I am assuming the honey cant make that much of a taste difference from sugar.

Sounds great! Never heard of this before..what type of drink is it? What batch size is that? What's the process you follow regarding fermenting time,og/fg,racking/bottling and maturing?
Plus anything else!

Cheers

Clint

Melomel is almost all fermented fruit and honey based drinks. Mead just honey, melomel with any fruit, with grape it's called pyment, grape & herbs hippocras, with herbs it's called metheglin and with apples it's called cyser.

Only a gallon in size as no one else like mead. Fermenting time no idea just tend to leave it and rack when I can e bothered..lol The f.g should be just below 1.00 to 0.995 as there wasn't much sugar to begin with, have made a few 17% which are great but take to long to ferment and use to much nutrient over the 3-4 months ferment. Rack twice or even once depending on how it looks sediment and clarity wise and usually drink the following year after bottling, min in bottle 6 months.

@Bigeck yes flavour is quite different to wine, I would have used 3lbs of honey but kid had a cough and had to sacrifice a jar.

Ist racked the other day and added camden. Not as rich a mead flavour with just the 2 jars the blackberry being the main flavour. Will leave to clear and mature for a while before bottling.

Back