DIY Grape Jruit Concentrate Experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottE75

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I haven't been around for a while, but I'm back brewing.

Today I experimented making GJC from Sultanas. I bought White GJC (Vinclasse) just to see what it registered in the SG scale (SG 1.130+). I then did the following:

Boiled 500ml of water
Washed 1lb of Sultanas
Place Sultanas in boiling water and boiled for 5 minutes to soften them up
Used a hand blender to pulverize the mix to release the goodness
Simmered for a further 10 mins
Used a ladle and a sieve over a jug and pressed the liquid out of the mix a ladle at a time

It made 300ml (over 1/2 a pint) of juice. It registered SG 1.130+ at room temperature. As close as I could get to shop bought GJC.

The sultanas cost �£0.88p, plus the cost of gas, to make something close to �£3.55 worth of GJC.

I was just curious as there are no recipes that I can find to make it.

Happy brewing!

Due to the lack of White Grape Juice knocking about I'm really interested in your 'experiment'. Have you used the end result in your wine making and can you feed back on your results please? I've put Sultanas on my shopping list, just in case lol.

Yours, hopefully ...

I put the end result in a turbo that I was making, but the turbo went south directly down the drain :doh:. However, I don't think that it was necessarily the DIY GJC that did it. It was my first turbo for a long time, and only my 2nd ever so I think I tried too hard to get it right and messed it up.

I'll be doing more DIY GJC soon, and I'll share my results, good or bad.

I'm all for innervation and experimentation so kudos to you.

I use sultanas in most of my WOWs but just wash and zap with a hand blender and add a little pectolase. It adds the vinosity and a little body. Don't over blended keep it chunky to help when clearing.

Paul.

Back