Stuck Fermentation suspected? Ideas?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yabezag

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All
So far - so good... am doing Malt Miller's American Pale Ale Centennial https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=881

I am using BIAB - albeit this is my second run through at this technique, having decided to step up from kits - first attempt can be put down to a "shakeout" and another story.

This is the first time I have used two types of yeast and the airlock was gurgling away for the first 3-4 four days as OG readings went from 1054 to 1030. After 10 days in FV it has really tailed off, seemingly stuck at 1027. I have checked the calibration on my refractometer and it is OK. Liquid temp is 20 deg C. Target FG is 1010 according to Recipe.

(Refractometer is my favourite bit of brewing kit at the moment, great investment - could never read the hydrometer accurately- now inspired to start measuring all the other parts of the brewing process more accurately).

Any ideas - or just give it the usual 20+ days and cross fingers??

Which 2 yeasts have you used and when did you add each ?

What temperature has your brew been fermenting at ?

First thing to try would be to move the bucket somewhere a bit warmer if its somewhere cool - assuming ale yeast usually 20°C or thereabouts is about right. Has it got much cooler where you are fermenting ?

Both of these went in together at the start - recipe detail was a bit sparse! Safale S-04 11.5g and NBS West Coast Style Ale Yeast.

Will try to put foam mat under FV to prevent heat loss to tiles, and see if that bumps up the temp - it usually does!
Thanks

Too many questions to answer. My two sense would be to warm it up and few more degrees and tomorrow morning give it a stir from the bottom of the trub (slowly) for about twenty seconds. This should get it going. Leave one more week before bottling/keg

Hmmm ? Still stuck at 1025. I have warmed it up to 20deg c, gentle stir as per other posts. Now chucked the final hops in and the air log is bubbling again ... roughly a burp every 3 mins. Do I leave it another week?

Hmmm ? Still stuck at 1025. I have warmed it up to 20deg c, gentle stir as per other posts. Now chucked the final hops in and the air log is bubbling again ... roughly a burp every 3 mins. Do I leave it another week?
Sometimes after you dry hop the hop particles create sites for some dissolved CO2 to come out of solution. Perhaps that's what you are seeing. If it all dies down again within a few hours then that is what will have happened

Latest posts

Back