Spencer Trappist Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
Gonna have a bash at making the Spencer Trappist Ale.

Anyone ever have it? Long shot, probably.

It's a bloody expensive one to buy and well I know there are other nice Trappist beers out there, this one has special meaning to me. (If a beer can do such a thing!? It's a long story!) I've got one of the official beer glasses in my house, so I want to fill it.

Gonna bash it with this:

2.72 kg Bohemian Pilsner Malt
1.58 kg Golden Promise
226 g CaraMunich Type 1 malt
10 g Perle hops, 8.4 a.a. (90 min)
14 g Willamette 6.0 a.a. (30 min)
WLP500 Monastery (Trappist) Ale Yeast

That looks like a lovely IPA. Something to add to my list to try. So many beers to try, not enough time. Damn working for a living.

Had a wee go at brewing this yesterday. Loving having a Grainfather and being able to do step mashing with ease.
Have heard interesting reviews about the WLP500 yeast, but hopefully it won't give me too many headaches. Now the waiting game of ferment and condition....

Final Gravity was spot on. Tastes really good and very authentic, even uncarbed and unconditioned. Feeling hopeful!

A bit slow to carb in my cold storeroom, but alas, here we are. Yummy!!!!

IMG_3060.jpg

I brewed Westmalle in November, it was also slow to carbonate, but I did use yeast that I propagated out of a bottle of Westmalle. My average temperature in my living room is about 18° C (over day and night), but the monks use a real warm chamber around 25° C for carbonation. I have less problems with MJ dry yeasts for carbonation, but on the other hand propagating the original from a bottle and then using it for fermentation is a next step in the process.

Back