Shall I Bottle Tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saisonator

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a dry stout here fermented with CML US Pale Ale Yeast, I was preparing to bottle tonight.
It has been in the FV for two and a half weeks and two days ago it was 1.014 and today it is 1.012.
I plan to prime with half teaspoon of sugar.
Shall I risk bottling tonight as I have no time to do it before wedding and honeymoon so if it waited till I came back it will be 1 month in FV?

Bottle ASAP, use no more than half the priming sugar (consider none) and good luck with the marriage.

We can only advise on beer here :lol:

4 weeks in the FV is fine. I'd only start worrying if it got to 6 weeks and even then I've read stuff on the forum where forumites had their beer in the FV beyond 6 weeks

4 weeks in the FV is fine. I'd only start worrying if it got to 6 weeks and even then I've read stuff on the forum where forumites had their beer in the FV beyond 6 weeks

Would you risk bottling if it were yours?

I have a dry stout here fermented with CML US Pale Ale Yeast, I was preparing to bottle tonight.
It has been in the FV for two and a half weeks and two days ago it was 1.014 and today it is 1.012.
I plan to prime with half teaspoon of sugar.
Shall I risk bottling tonight as I have no time to do it before wedding and honeymoon so if it waited till I came back it will be 1 month in FV?
It wouldnt do any harm leaving it for a month,it would be better conditioned by the time you bottled it,its a falacy that yeast dies, (autolysis) it gets energised again when you add sugar to prime it.

Sure. I bottled after 4 days fermentation on my last brew as I knew it had finished

MyQul, what about the much fabled two week primary fermentation we're all taught to allow the yeast to clean up after reaching its FG??

I think M is trying some radical hipster brewing...4+4+4...4 days fermenting; 4 carbing and 4 conditioning. I bet this very moment he is painting some logs or making a string holder out of a coat hanger....

I think M is trying some radical hipster brewing...4+4+4...4 days fermenting; 4 carbing and 4 conditioning. I bet this very moment he is painting some logs or making a string holder out of a coat hanger....

I would expect that 4+4+4 is very much the reality of a commercially available cask craft beer. I would imagine that the commercial brewers then get on with the never ending cycle of making and flogging the next batch, and have scant time for painting logs or converting coat hangers. :lol:

I'm currently knitting my beard.

4 days carbing?? 4 days conditioning?? I'm not making a Russian Imperial Stout here you know!. More like 4+2 (4 days fermenting then cracking open the first beer after two days conditioning/carbing)

MyQul, what about the much fabled two week primary fermentation we're all taught to allow the yeast to clean up after reaching its FG??

This is my SFT beer (special fast turn around beer). Everything about this particular brew is designed to knock out some beer as fast as possible. As I often run out of beer as I dont brew often enough to have a lot of stock on hand

So:
a)low OG (OG 1.036) so the yeast doesnt have much sugars to chomp through.
b) A yeast that can handle high temps as the higher the temp the faster the yeast will ferment. I use Nottingham and just free ferment in my kitchen worktop corner which is quite warm most of the year (apart from deepest winter). At the moment its arount 23C. Notty can easily hand these temps (I've had it up to 25C-27C during the middle of summer).
c) Then whack it in the packaging and let it clean up in there.

Obviously you'll not make the best beer doing the above but notty is a really forgiving yeast and I've definatley had worse in pubs

Dear M I am sorry to hear of your dreadful lack of beer situation. Pity you don't live nearer as I have around 150 bottles in my little shed....

Back