Ribena wine and rice and raisin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucylu

Reaction score
Hello again...
So, the blackberries went into the freezer until I have time to do it...

In the meantime I had made the ribena wine...it is still fermenting after 25 days..1 bubble per 40 seconds..should I leave it longer or go onto the next step anyway?

The rice and raisin I was great at stirring it for about a week and then was a bit rubbish!! That's 25 days old now...it smells of alcohol with an underlying 'off' smell! 😕 Should I keep going with it or is it ruined?

Thanks 😃

In the meantime I had made the ribena wine...it is still fermenting after 25 days..1 bubble per 40 seconds..should I leave it longer or go onto the next step anyway?

A lesson i learned the hard way when i first started was don't use juice that has preservative, boiling doesn't get rid of it and it slowly kills the yeast leaving you with a long wait and a very sweet low alcohol toilet cleaner :lol:

Have a look at this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Ah....should I bother waiting then? I don't mind sweet wine but do I need to wait until there are absolutely no bubbles....could this take weeks? Haven't looked at video on link yet!

What went wrong with the rice and raisin? Talk us through your method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah....should I bother waiting then? I don't mind sweet wine but do I need to wait until there are absolutely no bubbles....could this take weeks? Haven't looked at video on link yet!

Do you have a hydrometer if so take a reading mine took weeks to get to .1010 and was going so slow i gave up and poured it down the drain it was sickly sweet.

Hi,

Just used the hydrometer and it dropped to the bottom of the Demi John!!!! I'm guessing that's not meant to happen!! i will sieve the rice and raisin later and let you know what that one is like! 😬

Hi,

Just used the hydrometer and it dropped to the bottom of the Demi John!!!! I'm guessing that's not meant to happen!! i will sieve the rice and raisin later and let you know what that one is like! 😬

The hydrometer isn't supposed to be put into the demijohn, you take a sample from the demijohn pop it in a trial jar and pop the hydrometer in the trial jar.
I'm confused with your rice and raisin, when you say sieve it, do you mean it's been sat in a bucket all this time? Can you try and be a tad more descriptive. The more info you provide, the more advice we will be able to offer.

That's embarrassing!!! I will try the other way...yes the rice and raisins have just been sitting there.😊

If it's been sat in a bucket all this time then it wouldn't surprise me that it smells off. Normally pupl ferments are only for 7-10 days after that it should be sieved and fermented under airlock. Where did you get the recipe?

Latest posts

Back