Black IPA Kit experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiosBrew

Reaction score
Hi,

First post here. I'm new to brewing but I've been lurking and reading a lot. I'm finding these forums really helpful!

My first brew was a Munton's American IPA kit given as a gift back in July and I'm pretty happy with the end result, its very drinkable! (I'll give my feedback in a separate post).

For my second brew I've currently got half a batch of the Lights Out black IPA extract kit that has been bubbling away for 48hrs now.

After ordering the Lights Out kit I decided that rather than brew up the whole batch I would experiment a little bit. I think it suits me better to make a greater number of smaller volume brews so I can try more things out and have a greater variety of beer to drink!

My plan is to split this kit into 3 brews adding extra ingredients as follows:

1. 1/2 volume (9 litres with all ingredients split evenly) following the kit recipe (currently in the FV)
2. 1/2 volume as a standard american IPA using the other half of the hops on the same schedule
3. 1/2 volume the same as the kit recipe but with different hops

I'm having trouble deciding on what extra ingredients to buy. Ideally I want to contrast the 3 brews as much as possible but only slight changes to the recipe procedure.

1. For the AIPA, could some please recommend an appropriate grain for steeping in place of the Carafa in the BIPA recipe?

2. I was thinking I might reduce the bittering hop addition as well for the AIPA, possibly aiming for something along the lines of an NEIPA. Would reducing it by half work? or would adding later into the boil be enough to add some bittering whilst also using up the hops and getting a little more flavour?

3. What US (or NZ?) hop combos would give me something that contrasts in flavour to the original recipe (for bittering, late addition and dry hop)? I was planning to randomly pick 2 or 3 varieties but after reading too much I can't decide!

I hope that makes sense! Thanks in advance.

The kit recipe for 18 litres is:

3kg Light DME

300g Carafa special III

4 packs of hops separated by addition (Galena/Citra/Amarillo)

Instructions are to steep the Carafa for 30min at 65-70C then boil adding hops as follows:

32g Galena - 70min

23g Citra - 10 min

35g Amarillo/Citra - 0min

30g Citra - Dry hop

(I only added a little DME to the boil and dissolved the rest in the FV)

OG: 1.060
Expected FG: 1.011

Latest posts

Back